Canola Oil and Castor Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@cmzaha Could you post a pic of the ingredients on your Canola or a link to it, so I know what to look for, please? I don't see any online, at least that say specifically High Oleic... I see organic, I see natural, I see expeller pressed, non-gmo... None that say specifically high oleic.
Thanks for your help with this, everyone, and thanks so much for understanding that I'm new! lol

I have actually never had canola get dos even when using the regular canola. I now only use HO Canola from a restaurant supply and I really like canola

I don't use canola in my soap at all, but lately I tried hand made soap with canola and sunflower oil, I like the feeling, I am assuming that they both were HO. May I ask up to what % you use canola HO in your soap? Do you mind sharing the supplier information? Thank you.

I think the canola oil will be ok - I tried it but my tester that was supposed to be saved for long term evaluation is long gone (oops). The castor oil in the pharmacy is also ok. Do NOT use the Great Value Sunflower oil. It is not good for soaping. I used it in recipes varying from 10-30% and had DOS in a few months. The only recipes that have not gotten DOS are at 10%. Great Value shortening (either the one labeled shortening or the one labeled Vegetable shortening) also works well, although at 25% I had DOS at 14 months.

Not that I noticed. Most liquid oils seem similar in my recipe but I only use 25%. Aloe juice in place of water seems to be the best booster for me.

I don't use canola in my soap at all, but lately I tried hand made soap with canola and sunflower oil, I like the feeling, I am assuming that they both were HO. May I ask up to what % you use canola HO in your soap? Do you mind sharing the supplier information? Thank you.
I use HO Canola or HO Sunflower up to 30% in my palm vegan soaps. My Canola comes from Restaurant Depot and is labeled Canola HO. This is the Canola I purchase
20181016_195256[1].jpg and this is the Sunflower HO https://tinyurl.com/y7xpv8g4 I have also use the Mid Oleic with no problems

My canola soaps get dos if I even look at it wrong, I'll not use it anymore.
I prefer ho safflower, I use the one from walmart with the big yellow flower on front.
:lol: like me with lard...

I'm new to soaping and I looked at the castor oil at my Wal-Mart, they only had one kind near the pharmacy. I looked for the ingredients and it had one of those labels that needed to be opened...well it had so much writing and tiny words, seemed way to complicated to be just castor oil? I never found the ingredients so I put it back. It could have been pure castor oil? I would like to know the answer as well :)

Good to know! Do you know the brand? I will be in the cities for a show next month, so I might be able to hit one of the stores. I would still like to try sunflower oil at more than 10% in my recipes, but can't find HO locally, and don't have the need to order oils at the moment.

@amd It is probably the only sunflower oil they carry, TJ brand. The last time I went I just ran in quickly to pick it up. I got 5 or 6 bottles, and that’s all I bought as hubby was waiting in the car. The cashier said ‘my goodness, what are you going to do with all of this’. HO is printed right on the label.

Latest posts

Back