can you gel whipped soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy

Reaction score
the title says it all. i know that it is supposed to be room temp but could you whip it then put it in oven to ensure gel and still keep the whipped look/feel?

krissy said:
the title says it all. i know that it is supposed to be room temp but could you whip it then put it in oven to ensure gel and still keep the whipped look/feel?

hmmmm...I would think not, because you would be causing the oils, butters to melt before they had formed soap? But...that would be a good experiment... :lol:

I don't think it will work.
The heat from gel will melt the oils and deflate the soap. You'll just end up with a big mess.
The reason whipped soap works the way it does is because of the percentage of solid oils that are kept cold.

ChrissyB said:
I don't think it will work.
The heat from gel will melt the oils and deflate the soap. You'll just end up with a big mess.
The reason whipped soap works the way it does is because of the percentage of solid oils that are kept cold.

I have made nothing but Whipped soap since I became one of Terry's "whipped soap pioneers" way back when the "Wizard of Auz" first came up with this brilliant method.

Admittedly I do not make any piped shapes but have simply plopped the soap into rectangular log molds until recently when I started using the large PVC pipe molds.

Now here is the thing.............
in the PVC pipes the whipped soap has been getting EXTREMELY hot even though they are not insulated or covered. They are definitely going through their version of "gel".

The texture of the finished soap is different to how it was in the rectangular molds, but.............

IT STILL FLOATS...........so even though it goes through some change it does not lose all of it's "whipped" properties.

With that being said, I doubt that it will do any good gelling the piped shapes as they will definitely suffer from the exposure to heat.

i tried to unmold the whipped batch and the bottom was not ready so the soap was ruined. i threw it into the crock pot and let it get back to a pudding like constancy and then whipped the hot goo again with a mixer. them i remolded it. i hope it still acts like whipped soap even though it has been reheated.

krissy said:
i tried to unmold the whipped batch and the bottom was not ready so the soap was ruined. i threw it into the crock pot and let it get back to a pudding like constancy and then whipped the hot goo again with a mixer. them i remolded it. i hope it still acts like whipped soap even though it has been reheated.

How long did you leave it in the mold, Krissy ?

Mine usually takes a good 18 hours before unmolding.

i left it for 30 hours. so far this am it looks ok. going to leave it alone though...

edited to add:

i left it over night in the oven then cut it this AM. it is still the same whipped consistancy, still has the same light feel and look and still floats. it was hard enought to cut and the bars have no zap. so what would you call this process? i started off making Whipped Soap, then the next day put it in the crock and melted it down, whipped it again, then remolded it and put it in a warm oven over night. so this is like a RTCPWHIPPEDREBATCHEDHPOP-ABCDEFG! lol :roll:

krissy said:
so what would you call this process? i started off making Whipped Soap, then the next day put it in the crock and melted it down, whipped it again, then remolded it and put it in a warm oven over night. so this is like a RTCPWHIPPEDREBATCHEDHPOP-ABCDEFG! lol :roll:

I would call it FLOAP ;)

Congrats on a good outcome.
Now all that remains is to show us some pics. :)

I love soap forums. We learn so much from other peoples' problems, and find out things we never would have known otherwise. My son always says, "It's not a mistake, it's a learning experience". Never truer than when soaping!

here is a pic of the finished soap. i am letting it cure now. it is a cream cheese white and smells like chamomile. has some ground calendula petals throughout it too.

krissy said:
here is a pic of the finished soap. i am letting it cure now. it is a cream cheese white and smells like chamomile. has some ground calendula petals throughout it too.

Sounds and looks delicious, Krissy.
Well done.

You will probably find that it cures faster than regular CP too.
Terry theorised that the additional air which is incorporated through the whipping somehow speeds up saponification because of the oxygen and because the result is more porous it seems to cure faster.

Makes sense to me.

Was this your first Whipped batch ?

Back