Can you crack the family recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Here's a vid from my favourite youtube soap maker. Does anyone know how to get the high tops?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpT6p9yHans"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpT6p9yHans[/ame]

I reckon it's just a very thick trace. The bottom has obviously been poured separately,so maybe separating 1/4 of batter,colouring,leave to thicken a bit,then glopping on & shaping.It's not smooth & even,so I reckon that'd work.

gekko62 said:
I reckon it's just a very thick trace. The bottom has obviously been poured separately,so maybe separating 1/4 of batter,colouring,leave to thicken a bit,then glopping on & shaping.It's not smooth & even,so I reckon that'd work.

That's exactly what it looks like to me, too. I've gotten peaks like that by messing around with a spatula on my thickly traced soap.

IrishLass :)

I have noticed with my batches that have seized and I have rushed to get them in the mould, they all ended up with those pretty whippy tops. Even more so as you scrape the last of the soap out of the pot and wack it on top.

Hi
I made a nice lavender batch last night and I used a hand blender, and it traced WAY quicker than I was expecting, so it was a mad rush to add the EO and colour.
By the time I stirred enough to mix the colour through it was really thick, so when I poured it into the mould it was quite whippy and thick!
So I guess that's what they do - wait till its thicker so they can 'sculpt' it :)

I want to know what the sparkles are on top of the soap. It looks like glitter... is that mica? And hoe does she make the 'sugar granules' or is it actually real sugar?

I think it is as stated above and maybe the mold is slanted to the high side while setting up.( rested on a board or something similar) .

Kitn

I like watching her too!

I'm pretty sure all she does is let the soap get to a very very thick trace. I have gotten that effect on soaps before by doing that. Pour the first layer, then let the "gloppy" stuff sit in the pot for a few extra minutes, then scrape it out of the pot with a spatula.

exactly - let the first layer set up then artistically glop thicker traced stuff on top.

use a floral! then you'll get real thick soap, believe me i did it last wk!

I've made soap that's top looks like that by letting the soap I was putting on the top sit and reach a thick trace and then used a spatula to place "globs" on the top. You can place them diagonially close together either down the center or a smaller amount down one side. There's a lady on ebay who sells 2 lb loafs of soap and you can see pictures of the soap up close. That's where I got the idea for mine. :oops:

I think she is using an electric mixer with her thick traced soap and just whipping it up a bit. That is a method one can use to get that look. It is a regular pour with a thick whipped topping. Very pretty!

Back