Can u use CP soap to do M&P?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherg23

Reaction score
I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I start so I've done a lot of reading about soap making. There's 1 direct question I haven't seen on a website or forum (except for this forum, haven't gotten to that yet). That is can a person use Cold Processed soap to "Melt & Pour"? My only option is MP and I know I can buy a base at the local craft store or online but I've never found out about CP soap.

This will probably be 1 of many questions.

I appreciate all replies....i'm eager to learn.

Thanks
Heather

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the forum! :D

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if Melt and Pour can be combined with Cold Process? If so, yes. Some soapmakers make MP embeds and insert them on top or into CP batches. One of the members just poured MP into a CP loaf to make an interesting design.

If you're asking whether CP can be reheated and poured like MP, well...sort of. This is considered rebatching and it will be thicker than MP. You can "pour" aka "glop" it into a mold. I've noticed Brambleberry is now selling CP for rebatching. http://www.brambleberry.com/Rebatch-Bases-C14.aspx

HTH

I've heard that some things are melt-able like solid bars of soap. Can I buy CP soap, chop it up, and melt it in the microwave to pour in a mold? I would like to do that because I would buy something that had the colors and scent that I like. That way I don't have to do it. Otherwise I would have to buy something like goats milk base from a local craft store.

OR would I have to make shavings of it with a cheese grater and form it into what mold I want to use it on?

Thanks
Heather

Anyone know for sure if Brambleberry does something to this before they grate it, or is it possible to grate up any soap and follow the directions posted on that link that Hazel provided below?

Heather,

You can rebatch in a microwave. Lindy posted a tutorial about it. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33546

sperry -

You can use this method for any soap you want to rebatch. I know someone had mentioned she rebatched by using ziplock bags but I don't remember now who posted about it. It's been awhile ago.

Back