Can soap rice or curdle in the mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
Say if you poured the soap and it looked fine and then did gell and there were little cream colored dots in all the bars. In this case it was cinnamon leaf essential oil that wouldn't let me no-gell it. I think between the spice scent and the milk and the gell that the goat milk must have curdled. It was so disappointing to see. It moved fast but was creamy at pour.

Ive only herd about it but yeah that can happen. You should post pictures. From what i remember it can be cause by some essential oils. thats why sometimes its a good idea to add the EO before you add in the lye solution.

Cinnamon leaf, for me, is the most ornery EO in my experience (including ylang, black pepper, ginger, clove bud, cassia). It seizes like nobody's business if it gets even near a stick blender. Even if I hand stir, I have to move very fast. It's quite possible that it could curdle in the mold. And good luck trying to suppress gel!

That's too bad, it smells wonderful. I think I'll skip the milk next time and maybe blend it with a similar fragrance oil. I've heard Bourbon or Rose Geranium are ones to be on guard with too and take all precautions.

Thats odd I used Geranium Rose and didn't have a problem. I was able to do a really nice swirl with it as well. Now cinnamon and clove they are a tricky.

Latest posts

Back