Can soap be shrink wrapped in 1 week to avoid dos and rancidity, within 1 week

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rics

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I made a soap with just 3% superfatting, which got DOS in 2 weeks. :(
So my question is:
To avoid rancidity and DOS in very humid conditions, can a soap be packed in towel or paper or shrink wrap. Will the soap continue to cure in shrink wrap but also not spoil due to oxidation or sweating.

If a soap cannot be packed what is the best way to cure without letting them get spoiled in humidity. I don't want to invest in a humidifier.

I will appreciate all help and suggestions.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Maybe to put the soap, after you cut it, in a box with much salt. Salt is a hygroscopic substance - it retain the humidity.

Have you tried adding a little Vit. E or rosemary oleoresin to your oils when you make soap? Either one should help prevent oxidation of your oils which is the cause of DOS. I bought a Eva-dry Electric Petite Dehumidifier for our basement bathroom. It cost about $46. You will probably have to empty it every day, buy that doesn't take long.

I second the rosemary oleoresin.

I saw an experiment on another forum which compared different approaches to packaging and the soaper found that she got least DOS over time when she cured her cut soap in cotton muslin bags. If you buy them in bulk, they are not too expensive.

I second the rosemary oleoresin.

I saw an experiment on another forum which compared different approaches to packaging and the soaper found that she got least DOS over time when she cured her cut soap in cotton muslin bags. If you buy them in bulk, they are not too expensive.

Judymoody - did it say if she used 1 little bag per cut bar? Or if she left them in the bags to sell them?

I live in a humid region, but we keep our apartment at 68-69 degrees Fahrenheit. Should I think about using a humidifier? Or will keeping my soap in a cool, dry location (I'm thinking our closet) bee good enough for curing purposes?

Thanks sososo, isg and judymoody. I will give salt and vitamin e a try. Will also try to get my hands on rosemary oleresin.

I thought that while curing nothin can touch the soap surface, otherwise it absorbs the glycerin (which comes on surface of the soap due to sweating). Is that true, or wrapping the cloth in soft muslin cloth is fine?

That soaper is soapsmith and she does use 1 bag per bar. The soap can breath in the muslin.

That soaper is soapsmith and she does use 1 bag per bar. The soap can breath in the muslin.

Thanks for the reply savonierre. Just to make sure I understood u correctly. It is fine if I wrap a 1 week soap on muslin cloth.
The cloth will absorb all the droplets on soap surface (my guess is those droplets are water And not glycerine of the soap coming on surface-please correct me if I m wrong) and that is fine? I may have to change the cloth in case it gets wet, so that it doesn't make the soap moist again.

Back