Can peppermint FLAVOR be used in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnl

Reaction score
I have peppermint flavor oil (food grade) that I use for chocolate and chapsticks. Can I use it in soap too?

I dont want to buy peppermint EO just for soap when the flavor is probably the exact same thing. its 100% natural and im pretty sure its not diluted with a carrier oil (i only put about 1 drop per chapstick or less).

I also have passion fruit flavor oil. What about that one? That one I am unsure of because I dont know how it was made.

I have peppermint flavor for food too. Waiting for any advices here :)

Go look at the seller's or manufacturer's website and see exactly what is in it. If it is pure peppermint EO, then there should be no reason not to. If it has anything else in it, then I would not use it.

Did a quick internet search and a common theme came up - dilution. Flavoring oils are generally diluted in all likelihood to make them safe for ingestion. I would hypothesize that the concentration would be reflected less in your finished soap than an EO. To test if your flavoring oil is diluted or not add a drop to a white paper towel. When it dries it should be clear without any rings. Try a couple of small batches with different % - peppermint is generally regarded as safe (GRAS), but contains menthol so I wouldn't go above 5%. A good experiment would be to compare the EO with the flavor oil at the same concentration. - My 2cents

Back