Can large recipes be divided in half?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjbakke

Reaction score
I have found some recipes that I want to try, they are however larger than I would like to make. Would it work to cut the recipe in half. I know to always check with a lye calc.

yes you can, but keep in mind that the smaller your batch will be, the more correct you will have to do your measurments.

Yes, you can easily reduce a recipe. That's why many people write their recipes in percentages. All you have to do is type in the percentages and the total amount of ounces for the batch.

You can just divide all the oils in half and then type them into the lye calculator. frieda made a good point. If it's going to be a really small batch, you might want use grams.

Always, always, ALWAYS, run it through a lye calculator.
The smaller units you use, the smaller the degree of error can be in percentages. 5g in 20Kg is less than is .025 percent, but 5g in 500g is 1 percent and so forth. If you are making only one to three bars, you should go to 0.1g accuracy. if your scale can go that low. I have two scales I use

Latest posts

Back