Can I make soap with liquid soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeruleanBlue_15

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could make bar soap with liquid soap, as I can’t find lye anywhere. I am making this as a sort of gift, and I want to see if I can use just liquid soap, olive oil, and butter to make it. Thanks!

Sorry, but no.

You should be able to find 100% sodium hydroxide in the plumbing aisle at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, True Value, Tractor Supply, Walmart, etc. Sometimes Ace will keep it in the back and make you fill out ppwrk to buy it.

I cannot see how that is even possible.
Here are some online sources for NaOH:
California (Sacramento): 16 ounces for $5.99 Sodium Hydroxide - Soap Salon
California (Lemon Grove): 20 ounces for $8.00 Soapmaking Studio, Soapmaking Supplies - Chemicals
Amazon (Essential Depot brand): 2 pounds for $13.47 https://tinyurl.com/y58pjte4
Bulk Apothecary (Ohio): 8 pounds f0r $22.92 Sodium Hydroxide (LYE)
Here are some Chemical suppliers in California who sell NaOH, that you can contact:
Chemical Laboratory Supplies (1060 Ortega Way, Placentia, CA 92670, 1-714-630-7902 or (1-800-544-8883) – sells sodium hydroxide in granular or flake form.
Sierra Chemical Company (788 Northport Drive, West Sacramento, CA 95691-2145, 1-916-371-5943) – sells sodium hydroxide.
Ace hardware often carries it. Small hardware stores often carry it. Some big box home improvement stores carry it. Some farming supply stores carry it. But if you've already tried all those near your location, I'd recommend online sources.

I was wondering if I could make bar soap with liquid soap, as I can’t find lye anywhere. I am making this as a sort of gift, and I want to see if I can use just liquid soap, olive oil, and butter to make it. Thanks!

Welcome CeruleanBlue! :)

As the others have said, unfortunately, no, you cannot make bar soap by mixing liquid soap with olive oil and butter. Basically, what you will end up with is am overly-fatted/oily liquid soap that no longer lathers or cleans well. Even though lye is used to make liquid soap, it is no longer lye by the time it has been mixed and reacted with the other ingredients......it has been chemically changed into soap.

IrishLass :)

Thanks! I found some lye and am already making the soap. I did manage to find some coconut oil too. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back