Can I add on melted wax onto solidified wax?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCavalaro

Reaction score
I just did my first candle pour with soy wax. I had enough for one and a half candles. Can I let the half candle set for a few days and then pour more wax on it to make it complete?

I am not sure that the added wax will bond with solidified wax. You could use a heat gun to melt the top of the already poured candle and then add the extra wax.

I just did my first candle pour with soy wax. I had enough for one and a half candles. Can I let the half candle set for a few days and then pour more wax on it to make it complete?
Yes, you can.
I am not sure that the added wax will bond with solidified wax. You could use a heat gun to melt the top of the already poured candle and then add the extra wax.
No need for a heat gun. Since these are most likely container candles, it doesn't matter if they actually adhere to each other, once they start burning, melting they will meld together.
You can do it with pillar candles as well, you just have to pour the second layer a tad warmer to slightly melt the solid layer for adhesion.
I do it with both containers and pillars all the time.

If it's in a clear glass container, you can warm just the edges with a heat gun so there will be less of a noticeable line where the two pours meet. If it's just a candle for yourself, or a test burn, there's no need to warm it up first. If you put dye in it, you may not be able to get the second pour to exactly match the first so there's going to be a line anyway.

Latest posts

Back