Can cheap stainless taint your lye batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mixed up a batch of oatmeal milk and lye in a $10 stainless steel bowl from walmart and the bottom of the bowl is black and it looks like my soap is now too as its cooking. Whats going on here? Cheap stainless? Should i only mix in a poly container? Or is this the result of just crap quality stainless frim walmart? It was 75 ounces oatmeal milk to 29 ounces lye.

I agree with Belinda02 . if you see black tinge then it can not be stainless , it may be some kind of mix.

My stainless bowls are from walmart and work dandy, no discoloration and such.

Welll, magnets DO "stick" to some stainless alloys, so you can't assume this to be true all the time. But the most common stainless steel alloys do follow this rule.

When I go shopping for any kind of stainless steel product, I bring a little refrigerator magnet in my pocket to test it. If there is not enough iron in there to get the magnet to stick, it does not get bought. There are some really cheap "stainless steel" products out there.

Is there anything wrong with using pyrex glass bowls? I have been using them for almost 2 months and they are still in great shape (they have yet to frost too).

Additionally, wouldn't the lye eventually react with stainless steel since it's a metal?

Edit: this thread answered my question. According to IrishLass, glass will eventually break. The more you know!

Last edited:
A flexible magnet I had would stick to the bottom but not the sides....And the discoloration was only in the bottom of the bowl.

Here's what happened that made me raise an eyebrow and wonder what was going on here.

I had 75 ounces of oatmeal milk at room temp (made the day before). I added my lye to it as well as 1 tbs lavender oxide. The temp shot up to 212 or so but did not boil. At first it had a nice lavender color to it. Once it cooled down to 145 I re-stirred it one last time and my lavender disappeared. I then went to pour the mixture into my large stainless mixing pot and then was when I noticed the black on the bottom. But it blended well and looked like an opaque tan, like any other oatmeal soap I've made.

After I transferred it to my slow cookers and began cooking it I noticed it got really dark and it seemed like it was rising to the surface. It continued to be dark throughout the cook. Then I scented and molded it and once it hardened it no longer appeared dark. Looks pretty normal, minus the lavender hue I hoping for. So not sure what exactly transpired here. I am going to un-mold it and cut it up in a bit so I'm hoping I don't get any more surprises inside the loaves. But my leftovers that I put in paper cups then stick in the fridge look fine and there's no problem with them.

So someone tell me, I am adding the oxides at the wrong point? I thought oxides were safe and advisable to add to lye solutions. Most of the time I use natural food-based colorants that I either oil-extract or add late in the cook to retain coloring.

I have a few high-quality stainless 4 & 8-qt pots that I use on occasion and I have never had an issues with them. Just seems to be one of those "You get what you pay for" situations. I will be going to back to using poly mixing buckets for large quantities of lye.

Glass - pyrex or not- has potential to fail. I don't think it's the heat spike as much as it is that the lye can etch the glass and weaken it. Then next time it spikes or cools rapidly it can break. Then you have a real dangerous or destructive situation.

Back