Calling all fragrance experts!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soaper

Reaction score
Here's my story:

I've been making CP soap for years as a hobby and for gifts. Recently, I was shopping in a town nearby and came across a soap store. Of course, I went in and bought a soap called "sweet almond." The smell is AMAZING! It smells sort of like almond but there's something different about it.

Here is the description on the soap:

Product Description
This bar combines the wonderful balancing virtues of the olive oil as well as the comfort of a sweet and nutty scent, with notes of vanilla.

3oz bar

Contains: olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, water, lye. Aromatic oil: sweet almond. Green oxide (natural pigment).

I went back yesterday to try to find out what scent the woman uses. She wasn't very specific. I said "this smells wonderful. What scent do you use?" She said "Sweet almond oil." And I said "Sweet almond oil has a scent??" And she said "Well, what you're smelling is marzipan, but yes, sweet almond oil has a scent."

That's all the info I have. The website says they are all natural soaps and are scented with essential oil. Anyone have a guess what I could try?? Do you think she would tell me WHERE she orders her scents from? That might help. I MUST have this smell in my soap!!!!!!!

I use Sweet Almond Oil in all of my products and it DOES NOT have a scent anywhere near it so she's not being truthful IMO. It is more than likely a FO that she's used. And if she's using marzipan, she's not labelling her products correctly and I would doubt that the scent would carry through regardless. I have no experience with marzipan so I could be completely wrong there.

The only EO that I know of that is an almond product is Bitter Almond, but again I haven't used this one either so can't attest to how well it comes through in soap.

She advertises on her website that she uses ONLY essential oils in her products and that they are all natural.

This really has me perplexed. I also have sweet almond oil and I don't smell a thing in it!

If she is using Essential Oil her labels are not correct either. I also suspect a marzipan Fragrance Oil.

Well, aromatic oil (as she has it listed on her label) is just a fancy way to say 'Fragrance oil'. I've not heard of a Sweet Almond EO, and indeed, almonds have an almost bitter smell so I have no idea how that would even work. Unless she blended it with something, which is entirely possible.

she is trying to pull the wool over people's eyes...SAO does not scent soap..

Back