calculator help needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piedmont

Reaction score
never made soap before, have gathered all supplies, getting ready to start, confused about calculators, I want something to calculate a total formula for me by entering how much fat/oil i'm using in pounds then have it tell me how much water to lye in weight. i'm becoming overwhelmed with the calculators and don't understand how they are used. i starting out with 3 pounds of lard, thats all, and need to figure how much water/lye would go with that amount of lard. going to use the crock pot method and it seems some of the calculators are only for cold process and than some are giving +_ amounts which is even more heart wrenching!. i bought a digital scale too.
Regards, michael

I found the Maple Springs Lye Calculator, entered in 48oz. to the right of lard, the amount of water is 17.9 oz. and 6.61 oz. lye. Does that sounds right?? Is oz. in weight and not fluid?

here is another to try
http://www.soapcalc.net/
Take your time and read through it ,understanding the calculator is key to making soap properly.Just play with it for awhile , it is daunting at first .
HTH

kitn

www.soapcalc.net

Soapcalc 123

1. Enter the total amount of oil you want to use in Box #2 and the Water% you would in Box #3
2. Select each oil you would like to use, and adjust percents
3. Calculate Recipe, View/Print Recipe.

Then you will see a nice printable window with the Water amount and Lye amount listed in lbs ounces and grams, as well as your oil weights.

Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back