Buttermilk curdled!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porumi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Added buttermilk with clay to oils before lye and it curdled big time! Still finished but just wanted to ask if it will affect the soap??

Help and thanks!

Thanks,
Porumi

This is what it looks like after couple of hours... God i hope it is not ruined! It didnt change colour, just curdled. Can someone put my mind at ease if it will be ok to use?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1381092691.260543.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1381092705.427156.jpg

Thanks,
Porumi

I don't know about using buttermilk, but I wanted to say your colors and your swirls are absolutely gorgeous! I love those colors together, nice and bold like that. You often see softer hues of these, but I love the bolder colors. :)

Sent from my ME301T

Sorry I can't answer your question either but I also love your colors. The combination is great and can't wait to see how it looks cut. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I've never had mine do that, and I use buttermilk in most of my soaps (love the creaminess and the high lactic acid content). I'm just guessing, but guessing your soap will be fine, if a little ricy-looking. Let us know how it turns out! I add mine at emulsification, after mixing in the lye.

Oh, and to echo, gorgeous swirls and colors!

I add the buttermilk to the oils and stir the heck out of it before I add the lye water. It looks like your may be alright, I sure hope it is , that is beautiful.

It is possible that if you didn't have the buttermilk mixed well enough in the oils when you added the lye that as soon as you did, the lye turned the fats in the milk into little soap bits. We're you stirring when you added the lye? I've seen that happen with fresh cream. ( from the cow, not the store). Next time try adding it at light trace and see if it makes a difference.

Or, did you already have your FO in your oils? Not sure if that would make a difference.

I think it will be ok! It does not look too bad when cut, albeit not in a design i wanted. It also passed the zap test.

Next time i will stick to what I know and add the milk at trace!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1381130291.760061.jpg

Thanks,
Porumi

Its so sad that all the recipes i love are the ones that trace fast or are hard to work with!

Thanks,
Porumi

It looks like it turned out awesome. I stick blend my buttermilk into the oils until it's all smooth before adding the lye mixture. I've not have the experience you did with it.

Latest posts

Back