Building a soaping station.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbudtwo

Reaction score
So with all the soap you make you need to store it. I have a lot on hand and a lot curing as well. I normally just use some shelves in the garage but that is starting to be inadequate as I only have two shelves available (the rest are tools and things.) As well, I didn't have a dedicated place to make, cut, stamp, etc, my soap. So I drew something up that looked good, and was extremely convenient. I hate knocking over soap just to get to soap in the back. Drives me crazy. Here is what I have so far:

img1441mm.jpg

I will have 7 removable shelves on each side. 14 in all. 2 feet by 2 feet. Mesh base to the shelves to allow for air movement. The top is going to be our soaping table.

Hazel said:
Very nice! You'll have to post a pic of it when you have it filled. :D

It will be getting a batch of cinnamon clove soap I finally got working right very soon :)

So I went down to the depot today to get some more wood. I was able to build all but one shelf (I messed up measurements on one of them. Doh!) so I have to get one more piece of wood. Oh well. It started raining so I wasn't able to get the mesh stapled onto all of the shelves but I did get it on three of them so I was able to cut my new batch of Cinnamon Clove soap. I wish it were hanging around longer but someone has already claimed half the batch! Oh well.
Here is a poor quality photo:
soapstation.jpg

So I want to lacquer or poly the top of the table so I can clean it up. As well, I would like to put something over the front.
The sides need a few vent holes, but that's not a big deal.

I ended up using plastic garden mesh which was suggested elsewhere on this forum. I liked the idea of using it, however it is so springy. If I can find a decent supplier of a metal wire mesh I would much more happily go with that as it wont flex under the weight of wet soap.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Hardware-Cloth-1GBC1
That stuff would work great. But I would love it for 10 dollars less!

I didn't like wire mesh (or any mesh for that matter) because it sort of beat up the soap, especially if it was a little soft at the beginning of cure. I'd rather have a solid surface and turn the bars. But I was wondering...what about screening? Maybe that would be easier on the bars?

Very nice work indeed!

To treat the wood on all my equipment I use good old fashioned turpentine (the natural stuff) and beeswax. Heat the turpentine and dissolve the beeswax in it. Apply with a brush or rag, 2 heavy coats, dry and buff. The turpentine evaporates off and the wood will be "filled" with the beeswax. It's a good natural surface that's easy to clean up.

BakingNana said:
I didn't like wire mesh (or any mesh for that matter) because it sort of beat up the soap, especially if it was a little soft at the beginning of cure. I'd rather have a solid surface and turn the bars. But I was wondering...what about screening? Maybe that would be easier on the bars?

Well, my bars are pretty firm once I cut them. I haven't noticed anything from the mesh so far. The wire mesh would give more surface area for the soap to sit on as well, so It would be less likely to mar the soap with smaller holes.

donniej said:
Very nice work indeed!

To treat the wood on all my equipment I use good old fashioned turpentine (the natural stuff) and beeswax. Heat the turpentine and dissolve the beeswax in it. Apply with a brush or rag, 2 heavy coats, dry and buff. The turpentine evaporates off and the wood will be "filled" with the beeswax. It's a good natural surface that's easy to clean up.

I do like beeswax, but I decided to go with the lacquer because I am partial to it (it must be the fumes that draw me back.)

Great-looking shelf, what a handyman you are! nice!

one question: do you really need to store all that soap? If I get over 200 bars in stock, I try to move them out. Dust on soap is not pretty.... :roll:

Latest posts

Back