Building a soaping station.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodi said:
Great-looking shelf, what a handyman you are! nice!

one question: do you really need to store all that soap? If I get over 200 bars in stock, I try to move them out. Dust on soap is not pretty.... :roll:

Heck no do I need that much space! But having the space is what is more important, am I right? This is a lot of storage in a very small area, that also doubles as a place to make and cut soap. Previous to this I would make the soap on the side of the house, allow it to set inside the house, cut it in front of the house with my cutter, and then move it to some shelves that I had prepared in the garage. Now everything (except the melting of oils) is done in one spot :D

Plus having space for christmas / holiday orders does come in handy. specially when you have 3 or 4 10 lb logs that need to be cut up.

I love this and my son has agreed to make one for me for a small price of course lol, but i'm wondering would plywood sliding shelves work or would i need to cover the edges to make sure it didn't make dust from sliding in and out of the slots?

pixybratt said:
I love this and my son has agreed to make one for me for a small price of course lol, but i'm wondering would plywood sliding shelves work or would i need to cover the edges to make sure it didn't make dust from sliding in and out of the slots?

Wood on wood rubbing will not make dust unless you do it quite vigorously. For the first couple months you may get some flakes, but after a while it gets smooth. There is a technique to give hardwoods a sheen without a finish and it takes rubbing two pieces of the hardwood together. Its called brandishing.

Just be sure you are able to hold a piece of plywood that is stacked with wet soap. When gripping certain ways they can get heavy and unwieldy (think of a turkey in a pan.)

Let me know what you get built for you, I am excited someone liked something I made to want one too!

That is so amazing and such a brilliant idea! You've got so much storage, a work space AND it's all in a compact little piece. It looks like it's not too difficult to put together either...assuming you have some wood working skills, which I don't and may be evident by that comment :lol: I'm sure it was a lot of work, but could be done with fairly basic tools. Is it fairly heavy? It looks like a lot of wood even with all the room for screens. That wouldn't diminish from it at all, just curious.

If only we could all find someone who could build that and some space for such a brilliant contraption! :lol:

timbudtwo said:
pixybratt said:

Wood on wood rubbing will not make dust unless you do it quite vigorously. For the first couple months you may get some flakes, but after a while it gets smooth. There is a technique to give hardwoods a sheen without a finish and it takes rubbing two pieces of the hardwood together. Its called brandishing.

Just be sure you are able to hold a piece of plywood that is stacked with wet soap. When gripping certain ways they can get heavy and unwieldy (think of a turkey in a pan.)

Let me know what you get built for you, I am excited someone liked something I made to want one too!

Thank you I have heard of brandishing and I think i can do that.

Good point with the weight of each shelf, I am going to have to think about smaller shelves the kids will get tired of moving the shelves for me.

photoshadows said:
That is so amazing and such a brilliant idea! You've got so much storage, a work space AND it's all in a compact little piece. It looks like it's not too difficult to put together either...assuming you have some wood working skills, which I don't and may be evident by that comment :lol: I'm sure it was a lot of work, but could be done with fairly basic tools. Is it fairly heavy? It looks like a lot of wood even with all the room for screens. That wouldn't diminish from it at all, just curious.

If only we could all find someone who could build that and some space for such a brilliant contraption! :lol:

This is all nailed together with a nail gun. Not a single screw.
Materials wise this was 1 4x8 sheet of plywood, and about 24 8 foot pine 1x2s. I could have bought 2x4's and ripped those up but it would have added a lot more time to the build. This guy went together in about 3 hours by myself. The shelves took about 45 minutes with help.

Very cool! I use wire mesh on my racks and so far, so good! I bought it in the garden section of Lowe's fairly cheap.

donniej said:
Very nice work indeed!

To treat the wood on all my equipment I use good old fashioned turpentine (the natural stuff) and beeswax. Heat the turpentine and dissolve the beeswax in it. Apply with a brush or rag, 2 heavy coats, dry and buff. The turpentine evaporates off and the wood will be "filled" with the beeswax. It's a good natural surface that's easy to clean up.

Cool, Donniej. Isn't that essentially colonial furniture polish? I think antique experts still recommend that. Sometimes simple is THE best, isn't it?!

@timbudtwo...you should draw up plans and sell 'em. I think you already have a waiting list of customers!! Count me in!

I showed this to my hubby this morning :)

It's now on my honey do list!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

BakingNana said:
@timbudtwo...you should draw up plans and sell 'em. I think you already have a waiting list of customers!! Count me in!

If enough people are interested, I will write up some plans for free.

Really Brilliant! Like a mini bakers rack! I would love plans to build one if you make them!

Really supurb job!

I would add kraft paper/brown paper to the shelves for mine :)

Latest posts

Back