Buffalo tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know that you will find a source, at least for the deer tallow, because the sale of deer "parts" is restricted based on individual state or local laws.

I bought some deer tallow a couple of years ago from someone in NYS - I'll see if I still have her address. The stuff was amazing.

I've bought deer tallow from Cheryl Sawyer <[email protected]>. It's really really clean and lovely. I strongly recommend you drop her a line. Her price is good too.

You might try one of those places where deer hunters take their meat for processing, if there's one near you.

Thanks every for your replies; for the p.o.c. and tip. Keep me posted if anyone comes across a source selling Buffalo tallow in Mid-Western states or some other region.

I was thinking this myself - I live in an area that is super populated by deer and was wondering if I could ask at the taxidermy or butcher shop.. ???

And same goes for Reindeer tallow, I have a few friends in North Pole, AK that I was going to ask to find me some (along with indigenous berries like cloudberries and such).. butcher shop may be the best place to have them look???

Is tallow something they usually throw out/AKA is it cheap?

Found source 4 Buffalo Tallow

I found a resource for the buffalo tallow, Jackson Hole Buffalo Meat Co. I receive a reply to my inquiry whether they knew of somebody that sell it, they told me they could handle my request so I'm waiting on a quote for about 5 pounds of Buffalo tallow.

@Lil'Outlaws:Tallow & lard are by-products from reducing fat of animals, I would suspect it would be cheap, but don't quote me for sure on that. Your best bet probably would be the butcher shop the place where deer hunters go to take their bucks to get process like Mandolyn mention. Unfortunately, something like that would be far north (e.g. Gainesville, GA) of where I'm at currently. Could you please inquirer to see if your friends could get a hold of some reindeer milk (superfattening) as well? :wink:

while the stuff itself is generally scrap, rendering it is a pain so if you want it rendered you can expect an upcharge for that.

Thanks for the info! I will certainly inquire with the people I know in Canada and Alaska re: Reindeer tallow/milk..

I found a resource for Buffalo Tallow online, if anyone wants to contact them. I emailed them from their site (buffalo meat products and a few soaps) and asked if they would sell the tallow. Here's what they wrote back:

I would be willing to sell some buffalo tallow. I have it in 1 gallon containers for making soap. I would sell it for $20/gallon plus shipping. If you want less than that I could melt some and repackage it into quart or pint containers. I really don't have containers designed for retail sales so I would just try to find a suitable container for it. If you are still interested let me know how much you would want.
Karen Bredthauer
Straight Arrow Bison
[email protected]

Thanks for info

@Lil Outlaws: TFS the additional resource for the buffalo tallow! I contact Cheryl Sawyer and her price is pretty reasonable for 2 pound slab of deer tallow.

I just hope that the buffalo tallow is rendered properly, that it doesn't have any impurities (meat bits) in it. I'm still waiting on a reply back from Jackson Hole Buffalo Co. (contact them through their site also, email: [email protected]) that I mention earlier. I'll email Karen at Straight Arrow Bison also. Thanks again.

I'd love to know about the buffalo too - I was concerned about that when I bought the deer tallow but I can promise you based on my experiences that you will be thrilled with Cheryl's deer tallow. And she's nice too - followed up to be sure i was satisfied.

Update on buffalo tallow

I receive a reply back from Jackson Hole Buffalo Meat Here's the what they had to say:

I cut some buffalo on Saturday and have over 5# of Suet for you. It is 3.00 per pound plus shipping.

5# would be

15 for the suet, 13 for packaging and dry ice and about 40.00 for shipping

Total would be $68.00 shipped

The price would vary according to exactly how much suet we send you.

Does this sound reasonable :!: And what the heck is suet :?: :!: Is it the same as tallow or do I have to render the tallow myself? :?

Found this online:

Question - What is the (chemical) difference between suet, tallow
and grease?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grease is a generic term that covers a variety of fatty-like substances
without regard to chemical composition. Suet (strictly speaking) is the
purified internal fat from the abdomen of sheep. Tallow (again, strictly
speaking) is the fatty tissue of bovines and sheep. All are C12 - C18 fatty
acids of glycerin.

Vince Calder
=====================================================

BTW I asked the lady I spoke to about Buffalo tallow to give me a quote on a quart including shipping and she hasn't gotten back to me.. hmmm...

:?

So that means I have to render the suet into tallow? Update: yes folks the Suet would have to be rendered into tallow I email Karen (Straight Arrow Bison) this evening; am a wait to see what response I receive back from Karen, before I decide if I'm going to actually purchase the suet from JHBuffaloMeat.

Update:

I just got a reply back from Karen; the price for gallon buffalo tallow ($20) as previous mention and a quart ($5.00/quart). Shipping for a quart is $9.80* (*that's base on my zip code) Lil Outlaw did you happen to check your junk mail folder? I'm the second person that's contacted Karen. So I know she has sent you an email it probably didn't go straight to your inbox folder.

Yes the suet is unrefined - you would need to basically cook it to cleanse it. And because it's not refined you need to have it shipped cold or it could go rancid. Well rendered (i.e., refined) stuff isn't so sensitive and doesn't need to be shipped with ice.

@carebear: I figure that after I email Dan back, including the shipping* the suet would cost $68 total. After rendering 5 lbs of suet, that equates to 4 pounds of tallow.

*Note: Shipping cost is to my location.

Re: :?

Cattleyabubbles said:
Update:

I just got a reply back from Karen; the price for gallon buffalo tallow ($20) as previous mention and a quart ($5.00/quart). Shipping for a quart is $9.80* (*that's base on my zip code) Lil Outlaw did you happen to check your junk mail folder? I'm the second person that's contacted Karen. So I know she has sent you an email it probably didn't go straight to your inbox folder.

She did get back in touch with me - her emails are going to my inbox, she was just delayed in checking shipping. I've agreed to purchase a quart from her, so for roughly 15.00 we'll see what buffalo tallow soap is all about :D

I need to find it but somewhere I also saw a recipe for a body lotion/butter something or other that had the tallow in it, and it was supposedly good for stuff like eczema, which my son suffers from. I hope to try it and see how it works..

I order some tallow from Karen also. I will go ahead and order the suet as well since he already cut it for me. Lord knows I'll probably drive the neighbor's dogs and cats crazy while rendering the buffalo suet. :lol: Thank goodness I have some incense sticks for afterwards.

I am so interested to see both of your results - this is just too exciting. I'm going to check with my butcher's as I understand they butcher the deer for the hunters here so I'm thinking................ In the meantime I'm going to continue to play with Beef Tallow because my first batch (even though it is really, really "fresh") is amazing soap! I can only imagine what it's going to be like once it's properly cured.

So please keep us informed on your progress in this amazing experiment.....

Cheers
Lindy

Back