Bubble spots woes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My soaps keep getting these bubble spots. Any suggestions to help stop this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 28
That happens when the batter is on the thicker side when pouring it in the mold, at least that's what I find when I use detailed individual cavities for leftover batter. It looks like you made whole batches though, so maybe try pouring at thinner trace if possible. Bang the molds to get the batter to settle - you might have to have the molds sitting on something firm (I use an old baking sheet). You can also try pouring batter to fill the molds only 1/4-1/3 and taking a skewer or something and run it around the bottom of the mold and/or banging the molds then, and then fill the rest of the way. After the fact, if you have those little holes and the soap is soft enough, carefully smoothing over them with a gloved finger or a cotton swab can sometimes fix it.

I think I’m waiting till the batter is too thick to pour. Could be one of the reasons because I bang the hell out of it and I even took a skewer and was going around in each mold .

I agree it's from being too thick. Pour at emulsion or very thin trace and that should help. Also, make sure there are no bubbles from blending. Follow dibbles instructions for banging the to release the bubbles too.

I’ve quit using those same rose molds bc it is almost impossible to get them to come out cleanly. And even if they do, the petal edges are so sharp and thin that they break with the slightest touch.

All the other flowers come out just fine as long as my batter is at a thin trace, I’ve used the spatula to pop as many bubbles as possible before I pour, and I put them in the freezer a bit before unmolding.

I’ve quit using those same rose molds bc it is almost impossible to get them to come out cleanly. And even if they do, the petal edges are so sharp and thin that they break with the slightest touch.

All the other flowers come out just fine as long as my batter is at a thin trace, I’ve used the spatula to pop as many bubbles as possible before I pour, and I put them in the freezer a bit before unmolding.
You are very right the other flower mold soaps are quite fine. You can see the difference in the pic. Okay AliOop guess it’s using to plant seedlings now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 16
I have the same mold, never have issues if pouring thin enough. No banging or bubble popping required.
I find them super easy to unmold too, never sticking.

I don't care much for the finished pattern though, water gets trapped between the petals easy and can make the soap soft.

I have the same mold, never have issues if pouring thin enough. No banging or bubble popping required.
I find them super easy to unmold too, never sticking.

I don't care much for the finished pattern though, water gets trapped between the petals easy and can make the soap soft.
@Obsidian I wonder if your mold is a different thickness of silicone than mine. Mine came with a bunch of molds that I bought from a destash group some years ago, and the silicone is so thin that the roses bow out of shape with just a normal filling of batter. Annoys me to no end! Using them to start seeds is a great idea, @ShySoaper!

@Obsidian I wonder if your mold is a different thickness of silicone than mine. Mine came with a bunch of molds that I bought from a destash group some years ago, and the silicone is so thin that the roses bow out of shape with just a normal filling of batter. Annoys me to no end!

Mine is really thin too, I think it says wilton on it but I'd have to look. Think it came from hobby lobby.

Mine bows too but it doesn't bother me much, bowing on a rectangle mold is a whole other story. I hate those molds.

Latest posts

Back