Broken HP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a question I've never seen before!

I can't think of a way that wouldn't come apart once it is in use, that doesn't involve complicated joinery or processes that might be more appropriate to a piece of furniture :)

They could be cut into embeds or shavings for inclusion in a next batch. Or used as samples ... but repair? Sorry, I'm not much help.

A lot of freshly made soap is usually fairly soft, especially HP, so you could massage and knead the soap in your hands until it's moldable and then form it into a patty shape or press it into a mold for a more finished appearance. I sometimes lightly spray the soap with a mist of water as I knead, but not too much liquid -- just a mist is all that's needed. The resulting soap won't look the same as the original, but it's an option to consider.

You could "twice bake" them - put them in the oven at 150ish to force a second gel. they will get melty enough to bond together. For only two bars, I might melt them in the microwave - chop them up, microwave for short 30-second to 1 minute bursts - then pour/smush them into an individual mold.

I agree with DeeAnna. I have done that with both CP and HP. Smash it into an individual mold and pop it out later. One of my customers said it looked like cookie dough.

Oh, I was thinking about fixing, as in repairing the original bar (maybe because it had a particular design or something important).

Remolding is a always an option, with any soap. I did an experiment with putting a chopped up fresh HP bar in a bag and melting it - that worked easily and I poured it into a mold - it lost the swirls of course. I did add about 2ml of extra water, which I won't do again (it doesn't need extra water).

I had the same thought as well, SaltedFig, but I didn't have any grand ideas along that line any more than you do -- I don't know of a reliable way to fix a broken bar so it looks like nothing happened.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I am not sure why they broke. I made my normal recipe the night before with the exception of doing a pot swirl instead of swirling in the mold. There is a break between two colors, right along the color line so I am thinking one color was maybe cooler than the other? I believe I was able to save one bar by dipping it in water, pressing the two sides together and setting them to dry. Ive picked that bar up a few times to see if there is any movement or if it falls apart and so far it hasnt so I may have saved one. The one pictured below, cant be saved

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
You can grate it up, wet it some, maybe heat it a little in the microwave then smoosh it into a cavity mold or even form it into a patty with your hand.

Well, you can add a lil melt n pour n stick them together I suppose.. I never tried it.. or may be place them in a mould which would exactly fit the soap like in the picture and pour clear melt n pour in between ..

"...There is a break between two colors, right along the color line so I am thinking one color was maybe cooler than the other?..."

I think you've found the problem. If the surface of one layer cools off enough, it's not going to adhere well to the next layer you put on top without some extra help. I'm not any kind of HP expert, but some thoughts come to mind having made two HP batches in the past couple of days (and felt like I was all thumbs both times!) Perhaps spraying the soap with a mist of water before adding another layer and/or pressing the new layer down firmly onto the lower layer and/or working a little quicker.

If it's just one bar, I wouldn't beat myself up trying to save it. Did you try dipping the halves in water, gently smooshing them back on top of each other, and then don't touch for at least a week? Wet soap sticks to other wet soap unless there's oil in the way usually....

If it's just one bar, I wouldn't beat myself up trying to save it. Did you try dipping the halves in water, gently smooshing them back on top of each other, and then don't touch for at least a week? Wet soap sticks to other wet soap unless there's oil in the way usually....
That's exactly what I did. One seems to be holding. This was a small batch that makes just 4 bars so losing 2 is half. I'm hoping to save at least 1 of the 2 broken ones.

Latest posts

Back