bright purple

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youreapima2

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a bright purple color from tkb that woks well in cp and doesn't lose it's color?
I tried one, Amethyst and it turned my batch orange, and most of the reviews that are there are ppl using for makeup use.

I have tried to get rainbow mica from BCN but they have been out of stock on the purple for quite some time now.

Thanks

I have a violet oxide from BB I really like. I have a picture somewhere of my soap with it. Let me look around for it.

edit - no pic of that one, i'm sorry, but i liked it. It is hard to say what my idea of a purple is compared to yours. I have been happy with BB colors. I have a purple lab color I haven't used yet.

It's odd. I just looked at their site (TKB) and it seems like almost all the purples I've gotten from them are no longer listed. I had very good luck with all the purples I got from them. I recently got blue and red lab colors from BB and mixed them and it turned out well. You can adjust the mix to get the tone you'd like. I also like the purple pop replacement I got from The Conservatorie.

http://theconservatorie.com/cosmo-marti ... -2303.html

newbie - how are you mixing your lab colors up? Are you doing them in the 8oz of glycerin they recommend? I just don't have room to store all that and am looking for an alternative.

Slight thread hi-jack, but has anyone here ever soaped purple carrots? I know that regular carrots keep their colour - do you think these would too?

The idea popped into my head last week and I can't seem to shake it. Going to have to go to the veggie shop :D

Wikipedia said:
The purple colour common in these carrots comes from anthocyanin pigments.

I am guessing the answer is no. They are the same family of pH sensitive flavonoids that you see in various red berries, etc.

newbie said:
It's odd. I just looked at their site (TKB) and it seems like almost all the purples I've gotten from them are no longer listed. I had very good luck with all the purples I got from them. I recently got blue and red lab colors from BB and mixed them and it turned out well. You can adjust the mix to get the tone you'd like. I also like the purple pop replacement I got from The Conservatorie.

http://theconservatorie.com/cosmo-marti ... -2303.html

Thank you for the link. I will order some from them next time for sure.
I placed an order with tkb for their "neon" collection, aside from the purple, to see how well they work in cp. I found a different purple there to try (perhaps in a small batch) in case it turns orange again :)

I REALLY want purple color in my lavender soap, and I know its a hard color to achieve. I guess I am being stubborn.

Have you tried purple ultramarine? I use it for my lavender and I love it!
It doesn't fade and is really beautiful! You can get it at many soap supply sites.

I didn't dilute my lab colors that much. I put them in drop by drop, added to maybe 1/4 inch of distilled water in the bottom of a 5 ounce dixie cup. It did make it harder to see exactly what color I got- it was still quite concentrated and dark. I swirled it around and tipped the solution up the sides of the cup to get an idea. Then I added some of this water to my portion of soap that I wanted colored. IT was guesswork because the pH of the soap made the purple fade to a grayish color and I had no idea what I was going to end up with. It was not anywhere close to exacting science. I probably added too much because it looks like it bled some and I thought lab colors weren't supposed to bleed, but the one I used the lab colors in definitely has.

I put three soaps with purple in the picture. The one on the left has the purple from the Conservatorie that I mentioned earlier. The middle one has a mix of different purples I had left from TKB that I wanted to use up and the one on the right is colored with the BB lab colors- mixed royal blue and the brighter red (velvet red?) I don't have the bottle out right now but it was a pretty true red. Hope the picture helps you!
[IMG=http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/512/img4756i.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for the pics! That is really informative to me. I am tempted to dip a toothpick in the lab color and try coloring out of the bottle....

Back