Breast Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would at least give it a try just to see how the soap feels.

But wouldn't want to make it for myself or for customers. Like carebear says it may not even be legal to sell anyway.

Seriously? How can something so natural be gross or ick or eww? In Japan this is considered the highest give a woman can give to another is soap made from her breast milk. I think we often over think things attaching something disgusting to one of the most natural gifts we have to offer. People saying no to breast milk because it's not vegan makes me nuts too. Seriously we so need to get over ourselves. I use goat milk, cow milk & if I could get my hands on sheep milk I would use it in soap faster than you could say baaaa. Legally I can't make it on contract nor sell it here in Canada because it is human in origin. So for me it is a moot point. But for me - it is whatever, if I could make it legally, I would.

As a farmer, I must take exception to this comment. I milk cows for a living and we take great care to clean and sanitize the teats before and after we milk. I also milk my goats for our own consumption - same thing - and we drink it raw. Eight years and never a problem.

I apologize. I meant no disrespect and buy my milk from a local dairy in which they do the same. My wording was meant to highlight the hypocrisy of identifying human milk as "gross" when a majority consider consuming other milks (cow, goat, etc) to be the norm. I was picturing large-scale corporate dairies when I typed that statement...which are not always as pristine as one would like to believe.

I really don't understand why so many people have such a problem with the way we were naturally made to feed our children. Seems to be much worse here in the states than elsewhere, but I'm not for sure about that. If I still had young ones I would make soap for them/us from breast milk. My sister is feeding her 7month old still and is doing great this time around. She is on a milk exchange website sometimes. There are even athletes who buy it when they have muscle injuries so they can drink it and recover faster. Or if a mother is having trouble having enough milk they can buy from someone who has extra. Now I'm thinking of making some soap for my sis. When I see her this summer she can bring some extra for it. If, God forbid anything crazy should happen to our society as we know it......if everyone relied on "modern convenience" of formula........well all I can say is there would be a lot of people that would wish they had tried a little harder to at least learn how things naturally work.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried this.

I have, I had someone ask and I was down for the challenge.

It turned out good, to be honest, I have never had my soap batter mix together so nicely. You know how sometimes the oils and lye, when mixing send splatters everywhere (or they do for me anyways haha)

Well, this just folded into itself and blended perfectly. It was awesome!

I used gloves when handling the frozen milk though - but I tried the end product (I believe you should always try end product) and my skin was fricken soft.

I would do it if I had kids and extra milk, personally

Hi Hanna,

Good for you. The batches I made for my grandson have lasted a long time and I haven't had to make any in over a year. He was born with very sensitive skin and had lots of skin issues. We have since found out he also has fpies. The breastmilk soap helped a lot and I had no problem with making it, I only used olive oil in my biggest batch.

In Japan this is considered the highest give a woman can give to another is soap made from her breast milk.

The woman I made the Breast Milk soap for, Asian (I say Asian being ignorant to the fact what nationality she is, whether chinese, japanese etc)

Hi Hanna,

Good for you. The batches I made for my grandson have lasted a long time and I haven't had to make any in over a year. He was born with very sensitive skin and had lots of skin issues. We have since found out he also has fpies. The breastmilk soap helped a lot and I had no problem with making it, I only used olive oil in my biggest batch.

Yup, great stuff. I just made a standard olive, coconut, palm. It was great stuff though, and working with "unpasteurized" milk, WOW!!! :) I would love to get my hands on unpasteurized Goat Milk.

I bet Olive oil only would be INCREDIBLE

this is very interesting..... i wouldn't go out and buy/obtain breast milk from just anyone though (i'm picky with my cow/goat's milk too - as raw and organic as possible). very interesting gift idea for my friends who are into this sort of thing.....

I just found out my only daughter is going to make me a grandmother. (her first) She has requested that I make a mothers milk soap, just for her baby, after she gives birth. I was always sort of on the fence with making breast milk soap, have never attempted it, but now that my daughter has asked me to do it , it seems really special to me.

I just skipped to this page so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this. In regards to what the OP was talking about, yeah that's a little strangs and to far for me. On the other side of things IF...and ONLY IF anyone were to do this, I would advise not making the soap in the shape of.....well...a breast. The baby might suddenly feel hungry and well we all know that soap in our mouths is not fun. Just some advice. ;)

Last edited:
I just found out my only daughter is going to make me a grandmother. (her first) She has requested that I make a mothers milk soap, just for her baby, after she gives birth. I was always sort of on the fence with making breast milk soap, have never attempted it, but now that my daughter has asked me to do it , it seems really special to me.

That is pretty special, Congratulations!

Congrats Fall... I don't think I would have even thought of it if it wasn't for my grandchildren. One note...freeze the breast milk and then sprinkle your lye over the frozen milk while stirring. It's also a great thing to do when your daughter leaves a bag in freezer way too long to use it to feed the baby instead of throwing it away.

Great suggestion Scouter. I always freeze any sort of milk (goats milk, coconut milk) when making soap to avoid the yucky burn. I usually do the 50/50 method....half the liquid water and lye, then cool and add slushy frozen milky stuff. With breast milk I don't think I would want to dilute it, but use full milk. Great tip to freeze and use up whats been in the freezer a while. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back