Breast Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblefan

Reaction score
In 'The Everything Soapmaking Book' the author has a recipe for baby soap using breast milk. Supposedly the lactic acid is good for common baby skin problems.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried this.

It's interesting that goat's milk soap doesn't phase one at all, but HUMAN milk soap seems so weird.

It's interesting that goat's milk soap doesn't phase one at all, but HUMAN milk soap seems so weird.

I think it's because people actually drink and consume goats milk and cows milk regardless of which cow or goat it is, but (usually) only the natural child will drink breast milk from a lactating woman.

It's just not a natural thing for adults to drink breast milk, so soaping with just seems odd...

At least that's my take on it...

I would also feel weird about receiving/buying breast milk soap...quite a turn off. Would not use it.

Do you have the first edition?

I have the second edition and I've never seen that one.

Personally, I would NOT want to use it.

I can only see it in particular circumstances: making from your own or for a dear friend or something.

I don't even think it would necessarily be legal to sell soap made with human breast milk.

Gag. Nope, not for me.

I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be some breast shaped soap.

This is too funny - a friend (male) commented that he thought human breast milk would make a good soap - I kinda laughed him out of the room..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me it's an "ewwwwwwww"

Oh, Deda, sorry to disappoint!

Mike- I have the 2nd edition also. The recipe is one pg. 134, it's called mommy & me soap.

I will soon be seeing a friend who is currently breastfeeding her daughter. If she's interested in some soap I'll hit her up for some of her milk. (It was weird to type that...)

Interesting side note: I once asked my GYN why he thought there isn't any breast milk cheese on the market. Turns out the varied diets of humans, versus the all-grass diet of cows, makes the taste of human milk vary too much to get a reliable product. Not that I was planning on making cheese or anything. Just passing the time with conversation.

bubblefan said:
Oh, Deda, sorry to disappoint!

Mike- I have the 2nd edition also. The recipe is one pg. 134, it's called mommy & me soap.

I will soon be seeing a friend who is currently breastfeeding her daughter. If she's interested in some soap I'll hit her up for some of her milk. (It was weird to type that...)

Interesting side note: I once asked my GYN why he thought there isn't any breast milk cheese on the market. Turns out the varied diets of humans, versus the all-grass diet of cows, makes the taste of human milk vary too much to get a reliable product. Not that I was planning on making cheese or anything. Just passing the time with conversation.

No offense intended but that last paragraph made my stomach flip over. :(

I personally would not want to use soap made with someone else's breast milk, but I think it is a beautiful idea if you are making soap only for yourself from your own breastmilk, or for a dear friend out of hers.

Turns out the varied diets of humans, versus the all-grass diet of cows, makes the taste of human milk vary too much to get a reliable product.

Not only that, but the fat content varies wildly, too. My poor SIL wanted to breastfeed so bad but she couldn't because her milk lacked any appeciable fat. Her baby daughter kept losing weight instead of gaining and so she had to switch to formula. She (my SIL) was very anorexic in her teens and 20's and we were figuring her skim breast milk was probably because of that.

IrishLass

Deda a friend of mine used to be a baker and she made breast shaped cakes as well as - well you know - she also made the most interesting shaped chocolate lollipops I ever seen! 8)

Now I'll get back on topic - I guess once I get past my knee jerk icky reaction I can see how this would be considered very special if you were making it for your baby and you or making it for a friend and her baby....I still have my knee jerk reaction though so it would be really hard for me to get past....just saying....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, let me clear this up! I wasn't looking for breast shaped soaps!

I just figured that's what it was.... :oops:

I think that breastfeeding between a mother and her baby is one of the most beautiful natural experiences that a woman can have. It definitely is not for everyone, nor is it easy. It can be painful and a right pain in the neck.
However, using breast milk in soap is something completely different. I can see the appeal of making a soap for a friend from her own milk, for her baby. Some mothers use their milk to treat all sorts of skin conditions in there babies, like cradle cap, nappy rash, sore nipples, milk spots, heat rash. BUT I don't think it is something that could be given or used by anyone outside of that family circle.
Breast milk soap may well have it's place as a gift from a well meaning friend, but just like breast feeding, it is a very personal thing.

As far as breast shaped soaps go, I'll have to get some of those for DH, he is a boob man!

Latest posts

Back