Bottom of my soap looks weird

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KathyW

Reaction score
This is what the bottom of my soap looked like after unmolding. thumbnail_20190529_213612.jpg Has anyone seen their soap do this?

Pictures of the cut side.
thumbnail_20190529_213635.jpg thumbnail_20190529_213703.jpg
Does it look like air bubbles or lye pockets?

I have that happen when I use an accelerating FO that heats up the batter quickly. No problem with the soap, you just have to accept the silicone rash as is or plane it off. Since I don't like wasting soap, I don't plane it.

what fragrance did you use?

I have had the issue when I was new that maybe did not mix the fragrance as good as I should and it had vanillin, and colors unevenly my soap, but is probably what the others said.

what fragrance did you use?

I have had the issue when I was new that maybe did not mix the fragrance as good as I should and it had vanillin, and colors unevenly my soap, but is probably what the others said.

I used orange(50%), tangerine(45%) and clove(5%) essential oils at a ratio of 3% of my base oils.

I have that happen when I use an accelerating FO that heats up the batter quickly. No problem with the soap, you just have to accept the silicone rash as is or plane it off. Since I don't like wasting soap, I don't plane it.

I did force gel phase on this soap by putting it into my oven that was warmed to 170 deg F. Maybe I'll skip that in the future.

With clove and that much heat, I am not surprised you got silicone rash. Did your soap batter accelerate when you added the EO's? I don't heat my oven that much when I CPOP, and some soap doesn't need the extra help so I don't always CPOP. But when I do, only heat my oven to about 135-150 degrees. I use a thermometer to determine when it has reached the temperature I want, then turn the oven off, then put the soap inside & close the door.

With clove and that much heat, I am not surprised you got silicone rash. Did your soap batter accelerate when you added the EO's? I don't heat my oven that much when I CPOP, and some soap doesn't need the extra help so I don't always CPOP. But when I do, only heat my oven to about 135-150 degrees. I use a thermometer to determine when it has reached the temperature I want, then turn the oven off, then put the soap inside & close the door.

Thanks for your insight, I can use all the advice I can get.

I used orange(50%), tangerine(45%) and clove(5%) essential oils at a ratio of 3% of my base oils.

Interesting. Personally I do not use essential oils, only fragrances, and I have had when I was new fragrances that when I did not color my soap, turned darker on the corners, which is why I asked. Now I make sure they are very well mixed, and when I can, if I know the fragrance will behave, add them to the oils before the lye.

I also never gel my soaps or CPOP, I only did it once for a challenge. My experience is that natural colors tend to discolor overtime, and in the shower as you use, so I prefer to just use micas, or use natural colors in combination with micas, if I want color.

Earlene gave you great advice! IMO Maybe you can try a small batch with minimum ad ons, and not gel or put in the oven, and see how you like your result.

Good luck!

The striping and shading of colors near the bottom of the bars seems odd to me. I can see how this pattern could be created intentionally, and if that's the case, no problem. If the stripes are unintentional, I'd be concerned about the soap batter not being thoroughly mixed or something.

The striping and shading of colors near the bottom of the bars seems odd to me. I can see how this pattern could be created intentionally, and if that's the case, no problem. If the stripes are unintentional, I'd be concerned about the soap batter not being thoroughly mixed or something.
That was my attempt at an in pot swirl, but my colors ended up at the bottom. Every attempt is a learning experience I guess.

I feel for you, @KathyW! I despaired of ever figuring out even the simplest design. My swirling ability is getting better, but I still tense up when it comes time to make the soap look pretty.

I was guessing it was an in-the-pot swirl or a drop pour. Maybe when you poured the soap into the mold, the batter wasn't quite thick enough to give you the look you wanted?

Actually @DeeAnna my batter got thick really quick, especially the main color. I'm thinking the light and dark portions sat on top in the pot and therefore ended up on the bottom. I probably could have avoided that by stirring the soap in the pot first. Alas, hindsight is 20/20. I am overmixing or the EO are accelerating the process or both of those things. And I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

The other issue with this batch is I mixed enough white to pour an embed mold. One of those tube molds, mine is heart shaped. I used zinc oxide for the white and I mixed it with almond oil before adding to the soap. The embed still hasn't set enough to get it out of the mold. It was 2 tsp of zinc oxide mixed with 2-3 tsp of AO and added to appr 400 ml of soap. Should I wait longer?

When you pour the smaller portions into the soap batter in the soap pot, don't just hold the pitcher close to the soap pot. That's my tendency anyways.

Raise the pitcher higher so the batter you're pouring has enough energy to fall deeper through the batter in the soap pot. The thicker the batter in the pot, the higher the pitcher should be.

You can start low so some of the batter stays at the surface, and then raise the pitcher as you pour. Or vice versa. It takes a little practice, and I often feel all thumbs when I do it.

I hope this makes sense.

As far as the embed, I suspect the extra oil is what's making that soap stay softer. It may remain permanently soft if the superfat is excessive, but I'd give it more time -- sometimes it just needs a few more days. You can also put the mold in the freezer for awhile to firm up the soap. Sometimes that helps the soap to release.

Back