Botched batches.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I just remembered I had a picture of one of my early accidents. This is what happens when your soap overheats. There is stinky oil oozing from that cavern, and the bars were kind of sweaty looking. I rebatched it, and the soap came out OK. I use a slab mold for this recipe now, and it behaves better.

goatmilkoilpocket.jpg

OK, I just remembered I had a picture of one of my early accidents. This is what happens when your soap overheats. There is stinky oil oozing from that cavern, and the bars were kind of sweaty looking. I rebatched it, and the soap came out OK. I use a slab mold for this recipe now, and it behaves better.
Oh WooooW!!! :shock: I've had an oozy soap but this trumps it! I could only imagine the horror on your face as you cut into it! :silent: Thanks for sharing, im loving the "soap gone bad" pics! Its a good educational tool too!

This one completely separated in the mold and wasnt able to be revived, even with a crockpot rebatch surgery (it lost too much blood...I mean lye). May it rest in peace.

I don't make it a habit of taking pictures of my shameful soap spawn, but I will from now on

image.jpg

YES!!! Post them here! People can post their most ugliest soap disasters in one convienent thread. How fun would that be lol! i may have a few more up my sleeve...lurking around in my picture folder somewhere on my pc :think:
oh and i cant wait to see you first batch!

Look at you showing off your bad soaps with as much pride as you do your good ones. You're, not bowing to peer pressure like some jerk but proudly holding your head up saying, "Ha, I do make bad soap bishes, and here it is, so take that!"

I'm just kidding but I think it's brave of you to show soap disasters. Now everyone else better anti-up and not leave you out to dry. I await the additions....

This one completely separated in the mold and wasnt able to be revived, even with a crockpot rebatch surgery (it lost too much blood...I mean lye). May it rest in peace.

I don't make it a habit of taking pictures of my shameful soap spawn, but I will from now on
I'm going to from now on too, I had one seperate a long ass time ago and I had to literally pour it into the garbage (then properly disposed of). Its amazing what soap can do when we least expect it!

Look at you showing off your bad soaps with as much pride as you do your good ones. You're, not bowing to peer pressure like some jerk but proudly holding your head up saying, "Ha, I do make bad soap bishes, and here it is, so take that!"

I'm just kidding but I think it's brave of you to show soap disasters. Now everyone else better anti-up and not leave you out to dry. I await the additions....
lol, that just made me laugh! I love show and tell and the interaction from all of you. Thanks for the encouragment i cant wait to see who else shows off their beautiful blunders! :mrgreen:

Yuck. This reminds me of several things , all of which are gross and unappealing. I salute your bravery in sharing your soap accident!

I have 4 botched batches in boxes in the closet until I figure out what I am going to do with them. And I chucked 2 batches, one the FO had such a stench mixed with the milk in one soap. The other was an aloe/silk flop that looked hairy. The ones in the closet were cupcake and cake type soaps that just don't look good to me at all.

I think it is wonderful to show soaping imperfections. Not only does it show me some of what things can look like when they do go awry and what it may mean, but it shows me that even the people with more experience than I have also have had less then perfect results at times also.

This is a soap I made with a green tea infusion for my water.......in my wisdom I wanted it GREEN, but of course the tea turned it brown.....so I just kept adding TD and Green Oxide until I had a green colour....pretty pleased I was with myself too, I might add!! Should have seen my face when I unmolded and cut it!! So people...this is what happens when you add WAY TOO MUCH color !!!

IMG_8350.jpg

This is a soap I made with a green tea infusion for my water.......in my wisdom I wanted it GREEN, but of course the tea turned it brown.....so I just kept adding TD and Green Oxide until I had a green colour....pretty pleased I was with myself too, I might add!! Should have seen my face when I unmolded and cut it!! So people...this is what happens when you add WAY TOO MUCH color !!!
too cool! It reminds me of lizard skin!!! I must admit that I would love to be able produce a crackled soap such as this. I think it looks neat! good to know thats what happens when you add too much color and add a little heat...

I think it is wonderful to show soaping imperfections. Not only does it show me some of what things can look like when they do go awry and what it may mean, but it shows me that even the people with more experience than I have also have had less then perfect results at times also.
i feel the same! I find myself excited about what crazy soap picture will pop up next!!! the anticipation is killin' me lol

I have 4 botched batches in boxes in the closet until I figure out what I am going to do with them. And I chucked 2 batches, one the FO had such a stench mixed with the milk in one soap. The other was an aloe/silk flop that looked hairy. The ones in the closet were cupcake and cake type soaps that just don't look good to me at all.
I wanna see, i wanna seee! lol. :p I would have really likes to have seen the "hairy soap" bar :Kitten Love:

too cool! It reminds me of lizard skin!!! I must admit that I would love to be able produce a crackled soap such as this. I think it looks neat! good to know thats what happens when you add too much color and add a little heat...

Crackling seems to be caused by overheating and too many additives. Perhaps adding a ton of TD and color and letting it gel on purpose? Put a little exfoliator in it and you can call it Lizard Skin soap. :)

Some of my earliest failures:

lyepockets.jpg

My first real batch. Huge pockets of unprocessed lye. Eeeeeek! I just didn't blend it enough, I didn't move the stick blender around the bucket well enough.

soap1.jpg

Black raspberry vanilla that was oozing oil /blech

5.jpg

My first attempt at a coffee soap. I was using a new log mold and underestimated how big to make the batch, so they turned out pretty squat. Smell good though. Ugly colors.

Back