Body sprays revistited.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
Ok so I made the 98% cyclo and 2% FO spray tonight and it's great except the ingredients separate. It's cloudy too. How do you guys emulsify?

Bruce would you mind telling me what supplier you get your cyclo from? I was reading some forums and people were saying that certain suppliers sell cyclo that do what mine did.

AHA!!! I may be on to something. I got this from MMS's site:

I need to explain that cyclomethicone is NOT the perfect solution. It isn’t compatible with all fragrance oils, so testing is required. But, testing is simple and quick.

I’m going to explain how to test with cyclomethicone and then we will make a Monsters Away spray for kids.

Testing Cyclomethicone and Fragrance Oil compatibility:
Using clear dram vials, put 1 mL of cyclomethicone into the vial. Add 1 drop of fragrance oil. Watch the oil settle to the bottom, float on top, or disperse. It is important to watch the drop because not all fragrance oils have a color. It is very hard to see fragrance oils that are colorless, so watch carefully. Once you have determined where the drop went, cap and shake the bottle. Did the drop return to the bottom? Is it still floating on top? Is it completely mixed in?

We want a completely mixed in product. If you aren’t sure, and sometimes it is hard to tell, leave the bottle overnight and recheck it in the morning. Oils which are not compatible will remain separated from the cyclomethicone. Oils that are compatible will be completely mixed into the cyclomethicone.
I might just have tried an "incompatible" FO! Back to the laboratory! <insert mad scientist laugh here>

I get mine from WSP and it stays clear!!! It is pricey,but well worth it..i have NO problem with seperation either!!!
wholesalesuppliesplus.com

twilightluver said:
I get mine from WSP and it stays clear!!! It is pricey,but well worth it..i have NO problem with seperation either!!!
wholesalesuppliesplus.com

Thank you soooooooooo much!!~ I get most of my stuff from there anyway! I'm ON it!! :D

I just checked LotionCrafter where I got my current cyclo - and had I investigated more, I'd have read that it's actually a blend. "approximately 85% cyclotetrasiloxane and 15% cyclopentasiloxane"....Maybe that's what happened. Just some FYI for the next person trying this.

LJA said:
I just checked LotionCrafter where I got my current cyclo - and had I investigated more, I'd have read that it's actually a blend. "approximately 85% cyclotetrasiloxane and 15% cyclopentasiloxane"....Maybe that's what happened. Just some FYI for the next person trying this.

When you refer to cyclomethicone you are actually refer to any number of formulas. Cyclo can be D3, D4, D5, D6, D7 or D8. Or a blend of any of them. Most of the suppliers carry a blend of D4 (Cyclotetrasiloxane) & D5 (Cyclopentasiloxane).

If you're having a problem with separation it's more likely you're using a immiscible FO. Nothing to do with the Cyclo Blend.

Latest posts

Back