Body Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dblondi03

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Does anyone know a winning recipe for body butter containing jojoba oil, unrefined Shea butter, vitamin E, arrowroot powder and essential oil / fragrance oil? šŸ§ˆ
Thank you!

Here is a starting point; you will have to adjust it to include more or less of the jojoba oil for the humidity and temps in your area, as well as your desired finish (thick, firm, soft, whipped, etc).

30% shea butter
30% mango butter
30% jojoba oil
9.5% arrowroot powder
.5% vitamin E oil

As long as your shea isn't grainy already, you can whip this together unmelted. But if your shea is grainy when you rub it between your fingers, you will have to melt/stir everything together and cool it per instructions for avoiding grainy shea butter.

Add essential oils of choice using the skin-safe usage rates for leave-on products as advised by EOCalc.com.

Thank you very much
I had no idea that smooth Shea butter doesnā€™t need to be melted, great to know!

how can I substitute the recipe without the mango butter? Should it be 60% Shea butter?
Also another question, sorry šŸ˜
Do you use unrefined Shea butter? Because the scent is horrifying to me and I add a lot of essential oil to cancel it out but I donā€™t want to add too much essential oil

I love the smell of unrefined shea, but if you don't, the refined shea will work very well. If you already have unrefined shea that you must use up, then you'll want to use an EO that is skin-safe in high amounts, such as lavender, or that is very strong in low amounts, such as patchouli. I also find that vanilla or coffee fragrances cover the smell of shea very well, but those will be fragrance oils, not essential oils.

You can try a mix of 60% shea and 30% jojoba, but it will be very soft, especially in warmer climates. Do you have any cocoa butter that you could use to add some firmness? Some people use beeswax, but I find that too draggy on my skin, and it also tends to separate out into little grainy chunks over time.

Latest posts

Back