Body butter snaffu

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
It has been a while since I have done a body butter. So...the time I left it in the freezer was apparently too long, even at only a couple of minutes each time. With the final whip, it "seized" after whipping beautifully and ended up so hard and brittle, that it totally sucked! I need a refresher...

You can remelt it and start again. I am no big expert though. But maybe you didn' add enough liquid oils?

Yeah, I remelted it. It is the same ratio as what I have used before. I just changed the soft oils around a bit. After remelting, I did NOT put it in the freezer between whipping. It is better. I think next time, I am not going to melt it as much.

You might try whipping it in an ice bath. Use a large kettle or bowl with ice
inside, nestle a smaller bowl (holding your oils) in the ice while you whip.

I read in one thread that some people don't melt the butter, but whip it at
room temperature while they add the soft oils. Haven't tried this idea yet-
but it sounds do-able!

bombus said:
I read in one thread that some people don't melt the butter, but whip it at
room temperature while they add the soft oils. Haven't tried this idea yet-
but it sounds do-able!

I have read this too and will try this next time. Seems like a better way to go. Thanks!

when I did butters I
- didn't melt all the way. just softened
- didn't use cocoa butter. as much as I love it, it stiffens. I love palm, mango, or (gasp) lard
- used FCO or cyclo to cut down on the greasies (I hate cornstarch)
- didn't do the fridge thing because I could never get it out on time and I hated all the back and forth (as in: left it too long in the freezer, warmed it up, left it too long in the freezer...

carebear said:
when I did butters I
- didn't melt all the way. just softened

Thanks. This is going to be how I try it next.

- didn't use cocoa butter. as much as I love it, it stiffens. I love palm, mango, or (gasp) lard

I gotta figure out how to include cocoa butter...Lard huh??? Never would have thunk in body butter...

- used FCO or cyclo to cut down on the greasies (I hate cornstarch)

I hate cornstarch too. Will try the others. I currently don't use anything...

- didn't do the fridge thing because I could never get it out on time and I hated all the back and forth (as in: left it too long in the freezer, warmed it up, left it too long in the freezer...
Story of my life...

Thanks carebear! As always, you provide good information...

Latest posts

Back