Blender problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done oils into lye several times early on and not had a problem, I don't personally think it's an issue. The reason we do lye into oils is to avoid splashing lye, not really because of any mixing issues.

As long as your water/milk amount wasn't the same as your lye amount you shouldn't have undissolved lye.

With zap testing, give it a few more days before trying again, it may not be lye heavy it may just be still saponifying

Hello my fellow soapers (technically, I'm not sure if i can call myself that, as I just made my first batch and it didn't go well haha)...but anyhow..So i just made my first soap batch. I managed to get it done but hit an issue that all my research on this page, and others websites, did not prepare me for.... I had issues with the brand new blender that I bought for soaping.
When i had my oils and goats milk combined in the bowl, I tried to blend it...seemed like the blender would only mix whatever was INSIDE the dome of the blender. When I lifted the blender out to check it, I could see it had become thick trace inside the dome of the blender. It didn't swirl the mix in the bowl visibly at all. I had to keep moving the blender around like crazy and for a long time to get anywhere even close to trace. . When I tried to blender in water it works as expected...swirled the water in the bowl the way I expected to see it do in oil mix.. . Any ideas what the problem is?

This was my recipe:
lye 72g
Goats milk 175g
Coconut oil 150g
Olive oil 187g
Palm oil 162g
I also added a teaspoon of ground oats and raw honey at trace(ish)

Goats milk was frozen and melted in an ice bath with the lye. The oils were mixed at room temp (28 degrees) as I live in the tropics. I mixed the oil with the goats milk without heating the oil. So milk was very cold and oil at room temp.

The blender is the type which has holes in the housing to let the air bubbles out.

Hope I have included all relevant info.

Really hope it's something stupid I did and not a faulty blender :(

Why oh why do I never got normal issues

This might give you some pointers to what might be "faulty" the shape of the blender head sometimes influences how it handles oil.

I have done oils into lye several times early on and not had a problem, I don't personally think it's an issue. The reason we do lye into oils is to avoid splashing lye, not really because of any mixing issues.

As long as your water/milk amount wasn't the same as your lye amount you shouldn't have undissolved lye.

With zap testing, give it a few more days before trying again, it may not be lye heavy it may just be still saponifying

Good to know about lye amount as my Milk was 175g and lye 72.5g so I'm hopeful zapping in a few days will give a better result.
Not so good to know that this potentially was not the issue I had with the blender :(

This might give you some pointers to what might be "faulty" the shape of the blender head sometimes influences how it handles oil.

Interesting video so my blender is 150w, but I was doing a very small batch so it should still have blended no problem I think. My blender has a deep cavity so not ideal. It also has a very weird blade (comparing to the ones from the video...will upload a pic) do you think this might be the problem?
IMG20190617234717.jpg
IMG20190617234717.jpg
IMG20190617234717.jpg
IMG20190617234717.jpg

Latest posts

Back