blender for mixing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazerBottle

Reaction score
Instead of a hazardous hand blender which can make splashes is it fine to use a "magic bullet" blender?

Its enclosed and will emulsify mixture very rapidly but will cool it down thereby perhaps it would take several reheating/blending sessions. Does anybody use it for soap making?

I personally would not use a Magic Bullet- type blender. It will kick too much air into your batter, which is something we all try to avoid. Plus it would be quite a hassle to use if your batch size is too big for its capacity. You'd have to blend portions in stages, which is counter-productive. Not only that, thoroughly hand stirring in between pulses will prove to be difficult with the blades in the way, unless you take them out, which will be messy (it's not good to continuously machine-blend soap batter to trace, but instead to pulse only occasionally with hand-stirring in between).

Used properly, a stick-blender should not splash. 'Properly' means making sure the bell/blade part is at or near the bottom of your mixing pot/bowl, always underneath the batter a to good depth when in operation.

IrishLass :)

I used a blender when I first started making soap. IMO, as long as you closely follow safety procedures and do not overfill the blender, it works well, especially for one pound batches.

I start my blender on low speed with the lid on. I take the middle of the lid out and very slowly pour the lye water in. (Do not overfill the blender jar.) Put the middle back in the lid and cover with a cloth. Blend to just thin trace and pour into mold. Be sure to wear protective goggles and long sleeves.

A stand blender can work fine for making small batches of soap. I don't splash any more when using a stick blender than with a stand blender, so I don't consider a stand blender to be any safer than a SB.

While I've never used a stand blender for soap, I personally know one person who has run a successful soap making business for about 10 years. She makes all of her soap with stand blenders, and I've watched her do it. She uses a CP method. She doesn't use hot ingredients -- everything is room temp to lukewarm -- and I think that's an important safety point for a stand blender. She puts the regular cover on just like normal.

Here's an article about this technique -- https://soapformulas.com/making-cold-process-lye-soap-in-a-blender/ His article calls for using the regular blender cover with a towel over that for safety's sake. His pictures show the blender is just under 1/2 full, and that seems about right, again for safety's sake.

I have used my acquaintance's soap, and it's not been whipped full of air, nor does it float, as this author says can happen, so I'm a little puzzled about that part of his advice.

Last edited:
The issue with not using glass with lye solutions is still an issue, whether we're talking about blenders or other things.

The soap maker I mentioned uses blenders with plastic pitchers. The blenders I've used over the years also had/have plastic pitchers. I know some pitchers are glass, but I think plastic pitchers are more common nowadays than they used to be. Regardless, you're right that you wouldn't want to use one if it is glass.

I see the author of the article I mentioned is using a Pyrex kitchen measuring cup to mix his lye. I didn't pick up on that safety issue -- my bad. His blender pitcher looks like it's plastic, so that's good.

Latest posts

Back