Quantcast

Birthday cake FO with 10% vanillin - coloring ideas?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I'm generally an "embrace the brown" soaper, but i am looking for something a bit more fun/colorful for a Birthday Cake FO. Anybody do anything they loved?

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm generally an "embrace the brown" soaper, but i am looking for something a bit more fun/colorful for a Birthday Cake FO. Anybody do anything they loved?
I made a confetti soap several months ago that reminded me of the Confetti cake mixes they sell. Here’s a pic. You could make yours a chocolate confetti cake and I would use smaller shreads of confetti. I wasn’t going for a cake design, but after cutting it that’s what it reminded me of.

Attachments

amd

Reaction score
I was going to suggest a confetti soap also. I did that a few years ago with a Dark Kiss dupe FO (if I remember it was in the 10-12% range), and the shreds held their color really well. They were older shreds though, so that may have helped them keep the FO from migrating.

This worked for me with a fragrance with 7% vanillan (soap is about 10 months old and just starting to migrate a bit): Leave half the batter unfragranced and add equal amount to FO of VCS, add full FO to remaining batter, swirl together. I did mine white, so after it discolored it was brown and white swirled, but you could do this with several colors I think.
1/2 Batter + 40g* VCS
1/2 Batter + 40g* FO
*Numbers made up for example purposes.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@amd, so you put the vanilla stabilizer in the part of the batch that had no fragrance? I never thought of trying that, but it sounds ingenious.

amd

Reaction score
so you put the vanilla stabilizer in the part of the batch that had no fragrance?
Yes, that's it exactly! Here's the soap I made with the brownie FO (7% vanillan), after approx 6 week cure.
1601322678488.png

It's darkened a bit over time, but the white swirls are still intact, a bit less defined in places where there's a lot of brown. If I remember when I get home, I'll snap a pic. I made these in November 2019 (maybe late October).

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks! ETA: now I want brownies!

Last edited:

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks! ETA: now I want brownies!
Not helping but I made some a week ago using THIS recipe. I just failed to follow the directions by adding instant coffee into the water and using a 9x9 pan. Not sure if my "failed" brownies compared in scent to amd's soap but they were tasty.

Latest posts