Birthday cake FO with 10% vanillin - coloring ideas?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm generally an "embrace the brown" soaper, but i am looking for something a bit more fun/colorful for a Birthday Cake FO. Anybody do anything they loved?
I made a confetti soap several months ago that reminded me of the Confetti cake mixes they sell. Here’s a pic. You could make yours a chocolate confetti cake and I would use smaller shreads of confetti. I wasn’t going for a cake design, but after cutting it that’s what it reminded me of.

Attachments

• 2C4F3378-B8C9-4D8B-9B37-A60F0E481CC7.jpeg
    2C4F3378-B8C9-4D8B-9B37-A60F0E481CC7.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 11
I was going to suggest a confetti soap also. I did that a few years ago with a Dark Kiss dupe FO (if I remember it was in the 10-12% range), and the shreds held their color really well. They were older shreds though, so that may have helped them keep the FO from migrating.

This worked for me with a fragrance with 7% vanillan (soap is about 10 months old and just starting to migrate a bit): Leave half the batter unfragranced and add equal amount to FO of VCS, add full FO to remaining batter, swirl together. I did mine white, so after it discolored it was brown and white swirled, but you could do this with several colors I think.
1/2 Batter + 40g* VCS
1/2 Batter + 40g* FO
*Numbers made up for example purposes.

so you put the vanilla stabilizer in the part of the batch that had no fragrance?
Yes, that's it exactly! Here's the soap I made with the brownie FO (7% vanillan), after approx 6 week cure.
1601322678488.png

It's darkened a bit over time, but the white swirls are still intact, a bit less defined in places where there's a lot of brown. If I remember when I get home, I'll snap a pic. I made these in November 2019 (maybe late October).

Very nice, thanks! ETA: now I want brownies!
Not helping but I made some a week ago using THIS recipe. I just failed to follow the directions by adding instant coffee into the water and using a 9x9 pan. Not sure if my "failed" brownies compared in scent to amd's soap but they were tasty.

Back