Benzoin as scent fixative

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been experimenting with benzoin powder as a scent fixative and think there might be something to it. I haven’t been doing it for long enough, or rigorously enough, to conclude anything with certainty, but the fragrance in the soaps in which I’ve used it seems to be stronger and hold better than the ones without. It’s only been a month, though.

The powder I’ve been using is one from etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/222029921/benzoin-gum-powder-soap-making-supplies?ref=yr_purchases

I came across the product first at WSP, where the reviews were uniformly positive, but I wanted a bigger amount so that I could test it in a bunch of different soaps, and the etsy product was also very well reviewed.

The biggest deficit is one noted in the WSP one, that it makes the soap very speckly, so you have to have a design theme that will work with that. Some of the WSP reviews also said it made the soap gritty, I did not experience that, maybe the etsy one is a finer grind. In addition, the etsy powder has a distinct, very pleasant smell of its own, a sweet woody smell that is similar to sandalwood, and lacks the camphorous notes that many woody Eos have. I’ll try to post pictures in a bit of soaps made with it and without (from the same batch batters) to show the specks.

Last edited:
That's great to hear! I've only used the resin, which is not easy to work with because it is thick, and well, resinous/sticky. Mine smells vanilla-ish - warm and absolutely lovely. But I love sandalwood and may just have to try this powder. 🤔

That's great to hear! I've only used the resin, which is not easy to work with because it is thick, and well, resinous/sticky. Mine smells vanilla-ish - warm and absolutely lovely. But I love sandalwood and may just have to try this powder. 🤔
Did the resin discolor the soap? It's next on my list of fixatives to try out...

Did the resin discolor the soap? It's next on my list of fixatives to try out...
I used 1/2 oz Benzoin Resinoid in 16 oz of oils as the only scent/color in my batch of goat milk & vanilla soap. This is how it looked at cutting, and again 2 1/2 weeks into curing. The scent isn't strong, but very pleasant.

Edited to add the second picture that didn't stick the first time.

Attachments

• 20240403_115209.jpg
    20240403_115209.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240420_070406.jpg
    20240420_070406.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
That's the name that the inventor Todd Ziegler gave it. It doesn't look like he's a forum member any longer, which is too bad - he's an incredibly talented and smart guy.
Yeah, those qualities came through strongly in the thread. Someone who is only to happy to teach everyone who's willing to learn. There are so many here with this quality.

I used 1/2 oz Benzoin Resinoid in 16 oz of oils as the only scent/color in my batch of goat milk & vanilla soap. This is how it looked at cutting, and again 2 1/2 weeks into curing. The scent isn't strong, but very pleasant.

Edited to add the second picture that didn't stick the first time.
Was your benzoin resinoid in resin or powder form? If resin, did you dilute it in another oil?

It was resin, and all I did was warm the bottle in a warm water bath before adding it to the batter at trace.
Thank you! After my Oakmoss resin experiment I’m hesitant to try more resin. The Oakmoss was warmed as instructed in a SMF post and an attempt was made to incorporate it in jojoba oil but it never really blended and now the Oakmoss sits at the bottom of the container. 😕

Thank you! After my Oakmoss resin experiment I’m hesitant to try more resin. The Oakmoss was warmed as instructed in a SMF post and an attempt was made to incorporate it in jojoba oil but it never really blended and now the Oakmoss sits at the bottom of the container. 😕
I've read that aromatic components of oakmoss and resins will infuse into oils over time. Maybe all is not lost.

Back