Bentonite clay in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison

Reaction score
*guess my post didn't work due to the recent changes on here.

I recently found soap from Japan that contained bentonite clay. I've used this clay before, but never considered adding it to my soap.

Upon researching this a while, It seems it's typically used for a facial or shave soap. Any reason to put it in or not put it in to all soap?

I've found a few ways it's been done as well. Adding to lye/water, to the oils, or at trace. Any input on which works best?

Couple articles on the topic:
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-bentonite-clay-soap-recipe-8064878.html?cat=24

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/a/claysoapcombo.htm

One of the articles I read said minimum cure time of 8 weeks. Is there something different when using clay? I typically see 4 weeks for cure time and what I typically use.

I have used several kinds of clay to either anchor scent or to color my soap. I consider 4 weeks as my usual curing time.

I had only used bentonite in shaving soap until last week when i added it to a regular bath bar. The finished product has a very smooth look to it. I don't know yet if its the bentonite or not but its made me want to experiment with it more.

I know bentonite clay has amazing properties for removing toxins and as to why it's used in mud masks and such. But those stay on the skin. I'm just not sure if it will do much for a body soap.

You said it had a smooth look, but did you notice anything else with the soap?

Love clays. I especially like the very fine soft ones like bentonite, fuller's earth, rose clay and French white. Someday I'm going to make an unscented clay bar for the face with lots of shea butter.

I love clays in soap. The skin feel is amazing. I do a rose soap that is made with rose clay for colouring and I absolutely love it! Do some experimenting Jamison and see what you might like....

Has anyone ever had problems with the clay accumulating in pipes? I know it would be a small amount per bar (what I've read is anywhere from 1 tsp. to 1 Tbsp. per pound of soap) but if one used it regularly, might it cause problems in pipes?

I've put bentonite clay in tooth soap. haven't put that particular clay in my body soaps, but I have used other clays.

Latest posts

Back