Beginners Luck OVER!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memphishiker

Reaction score
Ok everyone my luck has officially run out. After three successful CP batches my 4th is a disaster. Ok so I was cleaning up after pouring my soap into the mold to see it rising out of the mold!!! Not sure what I did wrong but hopefully you guys can help. I did stir with my hand blender and am pretty sure I had a good trace. I will list my recipe so maybe you guys can help out this noob.

Recipe: Coconut

Babassu Oil - 220g
Coconut Oil - 600g
Olive Oil - 600g
Palm Kernal Oil - 400g
Water 560g
Lye 280g
Coconut FO from BB - 60g

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90932470@N ... hotostream

What has happened is called a volcano or overheating. What temperature did you soap at and were there any other additives to the soap?

I've had that happen and the first time was when I used Hemp oil.... :|

Wow my first Volcano! Do I just need to scrap this whole batch? Or is a crock pot in my future?
Thanks everyone for help!

You could crockpot it to finish it if you like or else just scoop it back into the mould and see how it sets up.... Won't be the prettiest soap you've made but it might be a nice one.... :wink:

Yes I think I will try the crock pot... I think it will be pretty ugly. I will wait till tommorrow and see how it looks tommorrow. Yes the oil was at 110F Lye was at 115F. Would 5 degrees cause this? I was a little impatient. I know bad bad... well it was interesting and terrifying what I have only read and heard about. Glad I saw it in time to move it or a real mess would've occurred. Thanks again for the help...

I soap at that temperature all the time with no worries. I expect that the high proportion of CO, PKO, and Babassu contributed to your volcano as they can heat up fast in the mold. Also you used a modest water discount which will make your soap set up faster. I don't know if that FO is a known problem child.

Impressive photo! :D

Hey well done getting to batch number four before challenges arrived. I so remember making my first batch and thinking it was easy and got all big and brave with my second batch and it pretty much seized on me when the lye hit the oils LOL.

Latest posts

Back