Bay Rum Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While I'm waiting to get my excited (and always efficacious) hands on some Pine Tar for another project (http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=40294) I am thinking about destroying some perfectly good materials in the effort to make a Bay Rum Soap.

I know the topic of spirits in soap making has a number of threads, I still thought I'd post the general idea here -

500gm oils

Olive Oil 50%
Coconut Oil 25%
Palm Oil 20%
Rapeseed Oil 5%

70gms Lye
190gms liquid.

Bay EO 8gms

With the liquid, I'm thinking of taking 100gm Rum, heated and lit to get off the most of the alch. Weigh what is left and leave to cool. A lot! Make a lye solution with enough water to make the difference.

Add lye solution to oils at around 30 celcius on each with a mold close at hand. Add in the cooled Rum Lite and Bay EO at very light trace (in case it starts to set too soon), stir through and mold up.

What could possibly go wrong? :grin:

In all seriousness, though, if there is a flaw in my cunning plan I'd appreciate a heads up.

I think I'd rather drink it than soap it!

Seriously, what I imagine is that you'd essentially be adding sugars to your soap and that it will tend to heat up in the mold. Depending on the color of the rum, that might come through in your soap or the sugars will push it towards a tan or caramel color. Not much scent from the rum, if any, is likely to survive saponification. The main advantage I see is label appeal.

Thank you, Judy.

I might well keep this until I have things for HP and then make the soap with water minus the weight of the Rum mix, adding it after the cook for colour along with the EO. Of course, I'll have to make sure there is enough water in the mix pre-cook to make it work.

For the record, it's a cheap-o rum that I use in my recipes rather than a decent rum for the tum.

T.E.G.

Did you ever get around to trying this in HP? How did it work? an how did the scent hold up? I'm trying to come up with a Bay Rum for shaving soap and thought of using rum as a scent component.

Thank you and happy soaping!

Latest posts

Back