Bathbombs!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heatherskiles

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been using a table spoon to mold my bombs for the last few years. I recently just purchased a meatballer from wsp, when I went to use it I had a hard time keeping the bombs as a circle they tend to split and not hold together where the two halves meet! I have no issues with my recipe, I just want to know what to do to make the sphere, had the same problem with plastic ornaments I purchased from hobby lobby. How can I get a nice sphere, and not half spheres?! Help!

This probably isn't too much help but I find that if I pack too tight, they fall into two halves. Of course too loose isn't any help either.

My recipe also has no water or witch hazel. Just oils and fragrance along with the usual dry ingredients.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply, I use witch Hazel in mine, maybe I'll substitute and try some oil instead! It's so frustrating, sometimes they'll turn out fine and others in the same batch just aren't having it! Lol

Hi Heather!

Just as Judy, I too only use oils and fragrance in my bombs - no water or Hazel.

I also purchased the meatballer from WSP, used it one time to no avail and it's been sitting in my basket where I'm sure it will stay! :lol:

I am dying to purchase some of those wonderful stainless steel balls but for right now I'm also using the plastic ornaments to make mine. I find that if you just barely pack the mixture into both sides of the spheres (if you pack to tightly, they'll just end setting up house there...) and then mound alot of mixture on halves, hold together for a minute or so and then take a spoon and lightly tap one side of the mold, release (don't twist, it should just fall right into the palm of your hand at this point.) and then do the same to the other side and they tend to fall right out. Have you tried that?

Also, are you keep tabs on the temp of your work area and the weather outside when you're making them? Sometimes, I find that has alot to do whether I know if I'll have to adjust my recipe for that day.

Are you using Kaolin Clay in your recipe? Love the stuff!!! Also, if you are using Corn Starch, that will sometimes make it hang up in there too. Just a thought - trying to come up with a solution for you to try.

A fellow crafter shared this idea with me and I can't believe I didn't figure it out on my own so I thought I'd share with you even though you probably already figured it out a long time ago...

If you take the cardboard drink containers from McDonalds or Speedway (you know what I'm talking about...) and then crinkle up some plastic wrap and put it down in the holes, it works perfect for setting your bombs on while letting them dry so they don't get that little flat spot on the bottom of them.

I love when others take the time to share ideas with me and enjoy returning the favor to others so I meant no offense if you already knew that.

Last week, I started making Bath Bomb Cupcakes along with the regular Bombs and I'm absolutely loving it! I've got a long way to go to get as good as what I've seen others do but as a beginner, I'm pretty pleased at what I've done so far.

I've never posted pictures on here before so I think that I'll start sharing some of the products I make. Tell me what you think of them but remember, these are my very first ones that I've ever made - EVER - so please be gentle! :lol:

Have a great weekend! ~Tami

Oops, it didn't post my picture?? Hmmm.... I'll have to go in and see what I did wrong and then try again later.

Some Pics of my very first Bath Bomb Cupcakes...

Okay, let's see if this works...

I still need alot of work on the frosting part of them. The one that is closest with the Orange Star is actually a Bath Melt Cupcake with Bath Melt Frosting and the bottom pic is just of some Strawberry Shortcake Bath Melts that I did today.

TamiJ, those frosted cupcakes look good to me. What are those butterfly thingy's behind them? Those look great, too. Seems like you know what you're doing to me!

Those look amazing! Thank you so much for you imput, I have been using cornstarch, maybe I'll adjust my recipe. What oils are you guys using? Do they take longer to dry? I just purchased the clay today, should be here by Saturday (as well as 50 pounds of bases, fragrances, jars, bottles, aroma buds, etc.) I really appreciate the feedback, I have no one in my area that does handcrafted soaps, and bath products. So thank you!

Thank you girls!!

Those are Butterfly Soaps. Sorry the pictures aren't better. My camera sucks and my son's has been broken. And the pics should have been taken prior to shrink wrapping them.

specializedbutterflysoa.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-19

Heather, I use 1/2 cup of melted Cocoa Butter in mine. And after thinking about it, I think I spoke wrong when I said that the cornstarch sometimes makes them hang up in those plastic molds. I think that it may be the cornstarch, oil and fragrance combined. I just replaced all of my plastic molds so I'll try to notice what causes it if it happens again.

Those are beautiful! I haven't been Soaping much lately due to the fact I'm restocking a bunch of my jars, soaps, bases etc. But I'm itching to do it, come on Monday, I want my goodies to get here, let me know how it turns out for you, I have tons of cocoa butter here!

Wow no water. How much oil do you use then? I tried that and they just crumbled?

I always used witch Hazel in mine, I just ordered refined cocoa butter today from bb, I'm excited to test this out!

Back