Soap smells like plastic!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheh e

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm new here on this forum and in thegrand scheme of things am relatively new to soap making. I have been doing it for a while, but infrequently. I really only make for personal use and the occasional hostess gift or something like that. Anyway, i recently made a 4lb batch, as I have every time i have made soap. I always split the batch in half so that i can have 2 different scents. It has always worked well for me, except for this time. Half the batch is lovely and a nice creamy white colour, the other half is yellow and smells mildly of plastic, rather than 'holiday candy'. The absolute only difference between how the two halves were handled was the fragrance. Both were fragrance oils purchased for this batch from the same supplier. I have attached a photo to show the difference. Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

Attachments

• PXL_20211202_190712598.jpg
    PXL_20211202_190712598.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 34
Hello & Welcome
your soap's look great' the off yellow soap could have vanilla in your FO it will discolor soap. Some FO smell funky if the expiration date is up or its just not a pleasant scent in CP soap' let it cure up to a month it may smell better as it cures. Whats the brand & name of your FO you used?.
I hope it works out for you. 💫🧼

Hello & Welcome
your soap's look great' the off yellow soap could have vanilla in your FO it will discolor soap. Some FO smell funky if the expiration date is up or its just not a pleasant scent in CP soap' let it cure up to a month it may smell better as it cures. Whats the brand & name of your FO you used?.
I hope it works out for you. 💫🧼
Thanks for the reply. I have used scents with vanilla in them and actually like the colour it turns, which for me has been a light brown, natural looking colour. The shade of yellow that this one has turned is really unappealing! I'm not sure of the brand name of the FO as it is re-packahed by the soap supplier i use. I will continue to let it cure as you suggest and if it doesn't look pretty but is useable, I will just not give any away. Thanks again!

There are some scents that have a plastic or play doh smell to my nose. I don't know why and it's only been a couple but the scent never gets better.

Have other people smell it, it could just be your nose.
Thanks for responding. True - odour is an objective parameter. I'm still not happy with the yucky yellow colour it has turned tho! I have never seen that before, not even with scents that have vanilla content. I will find a use for the batch if it is actually useable.

The color change is very common, especially to a light tan or yellowy color.
Vanilla isn't the only thing that can cause discoloration and I try to buy scents that show what the finished soap looks like, that way I can color the soap accordingly if I don't like the discolor.
Your soaps look good, the yellow isn't a bad thing at all.

Also, if the soap is freshly made, the scent can initially have a weird chemical tang that often disappears during cure. You might want to let the soap cure for a few weeks before you decide the fragrance is a fail.

I have a FO that was divine in the bottle, but after it saponified, it smelled awful...real 'chemical'. But after about four weeks, it was back to smelling really nice.

Latest posts

Back