Bath Salt Recipe - Needs input!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sappington

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've never made a bath salt before, but I'm wanting to give it a shot!

Below, you'll see my recipe I'm using.. Do the ingredient amounts seem to be appropriate? The bath salt that I'm making will be coffee scented!

Total batch size is 200g or roughly 7oz.

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 6.17.14 PM.png

It seems fine to me. Bath Salts are easily customizable so that seems ok. I will say though, with the coconut oil, remember it will solidify at 76 degrees so your mixture will be some what solid. you might want to add a liquid oil along with the coconut oil or think about making it emulsive.

Thanks for the suggestion on coconut oil, I also have soybean oil and sweet almond oil so I'll play around with different amounts with those!

I’d worry about the ground coffee. Your preferences may be different but I’d rather not soak in a coffee stew and have to clean it up when I’m done. If this was a scrub recipe it wouldn’t matter but as a soak it seems like too much of an annoyance

yeah the ground coffee will messy.. you can add caffeine concentrate. i would omit that. you can however make a bath tea and add the coffee in the tea bag and they can drop it in the tub. this will contain the coffee. if you must keep it in your formulation

perhaps you could use an instant coffee instead of the grounds, then everything is soluble.
perhaps include something like polysorbate 20 to help with oily-ness

I’d worry about the ground coffee. Your preferences may be different but I’d rather not soak in a coffee stew and have to clean it up when I’m done. If this was a scrub recipe it wouldn’t matter but as a soak it seems like too much of an annoyance

Very good point, thank you!

perhaps you could use an instant coffee instead of the grounds, then everything is soluble.
perhaps include something like polysorbate 20 to help with oily-ness

Thanks for that suggestion! How fine of salts should I be buying? It seems that fine ground salts will dissolve easier

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back