Batch number 2 in the mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael732

Reaction score
So I just finished batch number two. It was %100 lard with 1oz of FO just for fun. It took forever for the lard to emulsify and get to trace. I thought I was doing something wrong. I have to say I was having fun with this. Drinking Jack Daniel's and blasting Black Sabbath. Fingers crossed it unmolds correctly. Should I wait a full 24 hours to un mold?

Lard is definitely slow to trace, making it a favorite for swirling.

You can unmold whenever it is cool and firm to the touch. How soon that happens depends on your water:lye ratio, room temp, humidity, type of mold, whether you insulated, whether you added salt, whether you put it in the freezer....

I’d check it at 18-24 hrs and see if it still dents with your finger. If so, give it a little longer.

Lard is definitely slow to trace, making it a favorite for swirling.

You can unmold whenever it is cool and firm to the touch. How soon that happens depends on your water:lye ratio, room temp, humidity, type of mold, whether you insulated, whether you added salt, whether you put it in the freezer....

I’d check it at 18-24 hrs and see if it still dents with your finger. If so, give it a little longer.
Thank you. I used sodium lactate but Ill wait the full 24 before I unmold. Thank you.

I make CP 100% lard soap for a geezer pal who says it reminds him of the soap he used when he was a kid.

TEMPS: 120° - 135° F
TRACE: 20-25 minutes
Pour into greased molds. Cover with blankets. Place in draft-free area.
UNMOLD: 24 hours (or when firm to touch.)
CURE: 4 weeks.

I have a suggestion for a name for your soap based on the unique circumstances of its creation:
Black Jack 🤣

HAPPY SOAPING!

I make CP 100% lard soap for a geezer pal who says it reminds him of the soap he used when he was a kid.

TEMPS: 120° - 135° F
TRACE: 20-25 minutes
Pour into greased molds. Cover with blankets. Place in draft-free area.
UNMOLD: 24 hours (or when firm to touch.)
CURE: 4 weeks.

I have a suggestion for a name for your soap based on the unique circumstances of its creation:
Black Jack 🤣

HAPPY SOAPING!
I never thought of a name. Black Jack it is. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back