Bastille for babies recipe feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neeners

Reaction score
Please help!

I'm trying to come up with a Bastille recipe that is super mild for babies. I know there are lots out there that has up to 25% coconut oil, but I was thinking of maybe not having that in a baby bar due to its high cleansing properties? I've come up with these two options....

let me know what you think and I am open to suggestions to all you experienced soapers out there!

Bastille option 1.jpg

Bastille option 2.jpg

I would go with the OO and castor, I have bars like that and I like them pretty well. A bit better then plain castile, still slimy but mild. Some people can be sensitive to shea or coco butter, they might not be the best for a babies delicate skin.

I would try 10% coconut oil, 5% castor, 10% avocado, and 75% olive oil. If you can get your hands on some kokum butter it is a nice substitute for cocoa or shea butter.

I agree on the cocoa butter and shea as possible allergens. My daughter was allergic to chocolate (and lanolin!) when a baby, but outgrew it. Shea allergy is related to latex allergy.

Another way you could increase bubblage would be to use pureed carrots as an additive. Just be careful because carrot puree can heat up your soap batter.

thanks you Obsidian and judymoody!

Judymoody, your recipe sounds great - question, the only avocado oil I can find has vitamin E in it. Would that change the recipe?

this is going to be a breast milk soap

The vitamin E should make no difference. It is probably there as an antioxidant. Let us know how your soap turns out. I didn't start soaping until my kids were long past the nursing stage.

Back