Bar soap too soft?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flawlilz

Reaction score
Hi!

I have been making lye based bar soap for a while now, no problems. Except, the last two batches I made were really soft and malleable, like play-doh texture, when I took them out of the molds. They hardened a bit over time, but still were pretty soft months later. I have always been using the same recipe; the only thing that has changed is that I am using new lye (but i bought it new from the store!). I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem before, and might know what is up?

"...the only thing that has changed ..."

I always chuckle when I see people say things like this. I am perfectly willing to accept that you believe only one thing has changed, but I'm also reasonably certain your perception is probably not accurate.

I'm pointing fingers at my self too about this -- been there, done that! We all make this assumption from time to time.

For example, I can think of another thing -- The softness of your soap could be due to the lye, but it could also be that your soap didn't get as warm while saponifying as it has in the past. That will make soap soft with a clay like texture as well. Depending on the recipe and your methods, the soap could remain soft for a long time.

You don't give any details about your recipe and method, so most of us are guessing here. The more info = better troubleshooting.

Latest posts

Back