Baking Soda in CP soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnd1957

Reaction score
I have searched for articles or video's on adding baking soda to cp soap. I keep coming up empty. Has anyone ever made this kind of soap?.. I'm not asking for your recipe, just some particulars on how much and when to add to my "batter". any help would be appreciated.

thanx
bill

I am still very much a newbie, so please forgive the questions.

Why would you want to?

I know baking soda is a milder alkali than lye, so I am not quite sure why you would want to use both. Or is it that you want to use it instead of lye?

Again, sorry for asking, but it is the only way I can learn. And I am a "why" learner.

I have heard of adding it to soap at 1 tsp PPO to help anchor scents, along the same lines as corn starch, but I have never tried it personally. No clue how effective it would be as a deodorizing bar.

I just saw a new post on soap queen today that added baking soda to melt and pour soap. I don't know what would happen if you added baking soda to cp though.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

I would not want to risk it, but the Soapqueen blog recipe that I posted adds baking soda to shredded and rebatched cp soap.

Hello, I'm new here but I thought I could share my experience with using baking soda. I went back and checked my notes and found the one for the BIGfoot Soap Cakes I made back on March 15, 2005. The recipe I used is posted below...i used OHP and the results were solid white hard cakes that were hand shaped like old school biscuits lol I added 1 tsp each of peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils. The suds were wonderfully creamy and there was minor exfoliation, but the scent faded (probably due to the baking soda).

Ok, the recipe:
31.2 oz Lard
12 oz Coconut oil
12 oz Tallow
7.7 oz NaOH
14.8 oz Water
2 Tbsp Baking Soda (added after cook)
1 tsp Peppermint EO
1 tsp Eucalyptus EO

I would suggest you try it and see if you like it :)
Karen

Hello, I'm new here but I thought I could share my experience with using baking soda. I went back and checked my notes and found the one for the BIGfoot Soap Cakes I made back on March 15, 2005. The recipe I used is posted below...i used OHP and the results were solid white hard cakes that were hand shaped like old school biscuits lol I added 1 tsp each of peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils. The suds were wonderfully creamy and there was minor exfoliation, but the scent faded (probably due to the baking soda).

Ok, the recipe:
31.2 oz Lard
12 oz Coconut oil
12 oz Tallow
7.7 oz NaOH
14.8 oz Water
2 Tbsp Baking Soda (added after cook)
1 tsp Peppermint EO
1 tsp Eucalyptus EO

I would suggest you try it and see if you like it :)
Karen

is it possible that the scent fading is coz you were using too lil EO? i usually use at least 3% EO of total fats. 2 tsp is not even 1%.

Last edited:
You are probably right, I knew that wasn't the recommended percentages of EOs for the batch size. I really was trying to see if the baking soda would help with my son's stinky feet lol not so much for smelly goodness but for stinky elimination

Here is a recipe for deodorizing soap. I suppose you can just add alum to your favorite soap, I plan on trying it sometime.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pORGvVIdwwc[/ame]

You are probably right, I knew that wasn't the recommended percentages of EOs for the batch size. I really was trying to see if the baking soda would help with my son's stinky feet lol not so much for smelly goodness but for stinky elimination

ah okay... so, how was it? was the baking soda working to eliminate the smell?

i've only used baking soda in cp soap once, for my dental soap. i am curious if it's ability to eliminate odor.

Well, I did say it was using rebatched soap and the link I posted showed using baking soda with shredded cp soap for rebatch.:smile: I did notice that at the very end of the instructions, was the blurb on using baking soda in a regular cp recipe.

When you first posted the link, they didn't have the part at the bottom with their attempt at adding it to CP batter. I guess a bunch of people asked in the comments if it could be done, and so they added in their failed attempt at trying it with photos.

they must've used a whole lotta baking soda. i was using a small amount to my tooth soap and it was fine. it was very small amount tho.

I read that if you add the baking soda to your cp that it will react with the lye causing small bubbles to form in the soap thus creating a floating soap. Never tried it. How that affects the sf levels, i have no idea.

Latest posts

Back