Baking cold process oap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimnkell

Reaction score
Hello, I am pretty new to the soap making world and I have a friend that makes a lot of soap.. I was telling her about how I hated to wait for it to cure so long and she said that you can put your soap in the oven after you let is set and harden overnight and before you cut it to put it in the oven at 170 degrees for an hour and a half and it would be ready to use in a couple of days. Has any of you ever tried that? :D

I make almost all of my soaps by that method. I make the saop, pour it into the mold, put it at 170 for 2 hours then turn the oven off. I leave it in the oven until the next day. Sometimes I unmold the same day depending on my level of patience ... LOL ... I usually try to leave it in the mold for a day before I unmold it.

This is basically the same effect you would get if you do the corck pot method. You can use the soap right away, however, the longer you let it sit the better it gets.

I've been doing this for a few years and love it!

I do what MsSharLee does in that I don't wait until my soap has set before putting it in the oven- but I use a different oven temp than her because I soap my oils and lye on the warm side and can get by with setting my oven temp lower.

The purpose of me putting it in the oven when just poured is to encourage the soap to go completely through the gel or 'neat' stage, which speeds up saponification. As soon my soap has been poured into the mold, it goes into a pre-warmed 120F oven, which I then turn off as soon as I close my oven door, and I let it sit there until full gel has been obtained, which timewise for me is overnight. I soap late at night, you see, and once it's in the oven I go to bed. When I get up in the morning I have a nice, fully gelled and re-hardened soap waiting for me to unmold and cut.

Although fully gelled soap is further along in the saponification process than ungelled soap and is fine to use as long as it is tongue neutral when the zap test is applied, it still benefits greatly from a good cure. I cure mine for at least 4 weeks even though it's safe to use much sooner. That's because I found through experimentaion with my soaps that the longer I let them sit, the milder they become, the lather is much improved, and they also last a lot longer in the shower.

The waiting can be really hard, believe me, I know! But to me, those extra weeks of cure are definitely worth it in the end.

IrishLass :)

Okay, I have a question, the soap that i just made was left on top of my small gas propane refrigerator all night curing wrapped in a big quilt..when I picked the soap up and it was still warm...the fridge puts out some warmth and the batch of soap probably stayed at least 100 degrees all night.. so today we did the zap test and got nothing on our tongue... not even a tingle...do you think this means it's okay to use? This is actually my first batch.... so I don't know what kind of zap I'm supposed to get from touching it to my tongue but I got nothing at all...

kimnkell said:
Okay, I have a question, the soap that i just made was left on top of my small gas propane refrigerator all night curing wrapped in a big quilt..when I picked the soap up and it was still warm...the fridge puts out some warmth and the batch of soap probably stayed at least 100 degrees all night.. so today we did the zap test and got nothing on our tongue... not even a tingle...do you think this means it's okay to use? This is actually my first batch.... so I don't know what kind of zap I'm supposed to get from touching it to my tongue but I got nothing at all...

Tongue neutrality is a good thing. If you can't feel anything then you're good to go! :) If your soap zapped, you'd definitely know it. It's not known much for its subtlety, that's for sure. :lol: Zap feels like your soap took revenge on you for licking it by nipping or stinging you on your tongue.

IrishLass :)

Well, that is just cool as can be.... I baked it and didn't even realize it...lol... I washed my hands with it and it's works great..has a good lather too. It was just made with crisco, lye and water and I added some lemon fragrance oil at trace... I thought I would just shred it up for laundry but I love the way it's made my skin feel... wonder if this recipe would hurt my son to use it on his face...he has acne really bad and I have been going to make some soap for him to use as well..but I heard that just plain soap like this will help it... just curious... :?:

Latest posts

Back