Bad weather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamaT

Reaction score
I have been thru the worst week I have seen in years. I live in western KY and we had an Ice Storm last week that made every tree look like a tornado had been thru here. I have been without electricity for more than a week, heating with bottled propane inside my home, and was without running water for 3 days. Needless to say it has been an experience. Not to mention having internet withdrawl.

The power was out all over, no stores open, no resturants, no gas stations. Just darkness everywhere when the sun set. People drove out of state to get supplies, food, and gas.

I work for the post office as a rural carrier and when the power went out we took our mail and went to the street. The next morning the supervisor passed out personal headlights for us to case our mail. We wore those stupid things for the rest of the week. Then this past Monday we went in to work with lights on in the building running from extension cords connected to a small generator that runs out of gas about every hour. There is no heat in the building and the temperatures the last few days have been below 20 degrees for the daily high. When I finished work this afternoon the generator was out of gas again. We have no idea when the power will be back on at work, but I sure am glad that my power is back on.

There are crews from power companies from all over the country trying to get power restored to the area. There have been thousands of telephone and power poles that have snapped off due to the weight of the ice on the power lines. There have been several homes that have burned since this started, people have died from the elements, some from freezing to others that have died from carbon monoxide. I feel lucky that none of my family were claimed by this storm.

I'm glad to be back on the net so I can continue my soap making education.

Mama T that is terrible. I feel very badly for you. As you said, you are fortunate that none of your family was claimed in these tragedies.
Almost 2 years ago, we experienced a storm like no other, there were major problems with power, sewage, telephones, not to mention people actually lost their posessions, cars, homes, and their lives. We did not have any phone, electricity or internet for just under 2 weeks whilst emergency services worked around the clock to try to repair the damage. I felt blessed that none of my family or friends were taken in this tragedy. Having no phone and no electricity was something we could get through. Though not an easy task with 2 teenage children, I think that they thought their arms had been ripped off.... :lol:
Sometimes it is in the face of devastation like this that we take stock of our lives and count our blessings and thank god for the small things.
My thoughts are with you and yours.
Chrissy

I heard about KY on the news, that's terrible. This has been an awful winter. I'm so tired of snow and ice and cold.

I can't wait for summer.

It's been a horrible year for the weather. We had our 100 year storm here in Oregon, and it stopped us for two weeks at Christmas. Sadly, a lot of people didn't make it through the storm.....several homeless people died of exposure to the elements, and an elderly man froze to death in his apartment after the gas company shut off his service.....sad thing is, they found the check for the utility bill on his table, already filled out....he just couldn't make it out to mail it. :(

I'm sending good thoughts, wishes, and prayers that everything gets back to normal in KY soon.

We dealt with that in the North East back in December. I was lucky and my power was restored fairly quickly...but I had my sister, her family, and my grandmother living with me for over a week. Did I mention that I don't have a very large house? I was glad to be able to help them though... Stay safe, and I hope everything is back to normal soon...

I'm back

Shortly after I posted the comments about the bad weather my internet and cable went out and was just restored today. After talking to several people, I found out that the farmers almanac predicted the ice storm to the day and also predicts that we will have a heavy snow before the end of the month and another ice storm after that. I will definetly be more prepared for future storms since my dad bought me a generator which I used for several days before my power was restored. I also stocked up on canned soup and other food stuffs that will get us thru similar circumstances. When I get a chance I will try to post pictures.

What a terrible time

My heart goes out to you Mama T.
What an experience.You would feel so helpless.
I hope all turns out Okay for you in the long run.
It certainly pulls people together but I wish it wasn't through these experiences.

at least your not out of gas yet.... using chair legs for kindling and such... youd be suprised how much you can find in your house to use for fire fuel when you need to lol

Back