Back to soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amwhitney

Reaction score
Have been busy with work and got away from soap making but now I’m back! Does anyone use apricot kernel oil Or sunflower oil? I am looking for some less expensive but conditioning oils that won’t soften soap.

Does anyone use apricot kernel oil Or sunflower oil? I am looking for some less expensive but conditioning oils that won’t soften soap.
I love apricot kernel and sunflower in leave-on products.

However, in my experience, you can't beat olive oil for soap. It is not only conditioning but (over time) it cures harder than any other single liquid oil.

My second choice would be almond oil. I have used both of those to make Zany's No Slime Castile soap. It is hard enough to start using after 2-weeks, although the longer the cure, the better it gets!!!

Another thing to consider to avoid "soft soap" is starting with a well-balanced recipe like the Basic Trinity of Oils. You can sub whatever liquid oil (even apricot kernel and/or HO sunflower) you want for the Olive Oil in the formula -- after first using Olive Oil -- for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
I use high oleic sunflower oil, usually at 10%-15% of the total recipe. HO sunflower oil is becoming harder to find, I'm pretty sure because Ukraine is a major global producer.

Latest posts

Back