Baby Soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
Someone asked me if I make soap for babies.
I told them my soaps are all made from OO, CCO, Avocado oil and castor oil.

Is this gentle enough for a baby??

I wouldn't use coconut at all. A 50% olive, 50% lard/palm would be a nice gentle soap. Most people will tell you that home made soap isn't appropriate for babies though, their skin is just too delicate for the high PH.

I tell my customers that I don't recommend handmade soap for babies under 2. I have 2 grandchildren and don't use it on them I think their skin is more sensitive than ours so don't want to risk it though I know my soap is gentle on adult skin.

I tell my customers that I don't recommend handmade soap for babies under 2. I have 2 grandchildren and don't use it on them I think their skin is more sensitive than ours so don't want to risk it though I know my soap is gentle on adult skin.

Thank you everyone. I would certainly NOT want to harm a little wee one!!!

It is a difficult call. Handmade soap is high PH. But I personally would prefer that to using Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and certainly would NOT use anything containing sodium laureth sulfate on my child. If mine were babies now I would bathe them with a mild olive oil and/or lard soap and just bathe them less often. Bathing a child too often may be a cause of skin problems.

As for selling a soap "for" babies, I do think I would shy away from that. . .I would inform customers and let them decide for themselves.

I agree with Ruthie. I'd rather bath my kid in a homemade olive oil soap then that chemical crap they have on the market.

I am with Ruthie and Mish. I started making soap when my twins were babies. I could not find anything commercial that they could use without getting a rash. When they were babies, it was olive and lard with a little castor oil, shea butter or cocoa butter.

Now that they are older (18 now), it's still mostly olive and lard (or palm) with 10% coconut oil, 5% castor, and 5-7% shea, or cocoa butter. Too much coconut oil in soap and we get all itchy. :sad:

I totally agree with Shunt and tell my customers the same. We do have a marshmallow soap we make that is very gentle but still do not recommend it used on a child under 1.5 yrs old

Back