baby balm/ diaper cream?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an older thread, but I do a whipped butter with cocoa butter, coconut oil, shea butter, and almond oil. It works very nicely for cloth. Find any whipped butter formula and insert those ingredients. HTH! And seconding no zinc or lanolin on the cloth. Good diapers are too expensive to ruin and stripping is a big PITA.

You can also always reverse engineer if you have a natural one you love. I ADORE CJ's BUTTer for my cloth diaper baby (also is a great winter hand cream!) and it's one of the few things I intend to keep buying even with all the formulating fun I'm having. (the Monkey Farts scent is too fun and it has just turned into how my little boy is supposed to smell to me) But it has very very simple ingredients and I am planning to try and deconstruct it just for the fun of it. If you have a fav that might give you a good place to start. But then I am exceedingly green at this so I may be way too optimistic.

I came up with what I call Bum Balm, and after fighting a diaper rash for two weeks while using it (it didn't clear it up, but it made his bum feel better, which encouraged me) I got the inspiration to add powdered propolis to the balm. Worked like magic!

Thanks MichelleC, Tardismama and Frigga!

I am very intrigued by that whipped butter idea. Next time I will have to try it. My current forumla is getting too hard now that its cooling off outside. I definitely would prefer something creamier!

I, too, think I may be too green to reverse engineer something like CJs. Hopefully someday I will get there.

Frigga, what is powdered propolis? I'm intrigued.

We're a cloth diaper family here and it can be hard to find a diaper cream that doesn't ruin your diapers.
What kind of diapers are you using? We use mostly Indian Natural Cotton Prefolds, so what works for ours may be different than yours. You don't want to do anything that may default your warranty on them.

I saw someone mention lanolin, don't use that because then that will make your diapers waterproof. You don't really want that on the inside of the diaper.
I also saw someone mention bleaching the diapers when washing. Don't do that either. That can ruin some diapers & if you don't get absolutely all of the bleach out during rinsing that will cause one heck of a rash when your child's urine mixes with it. We learned that from when our son was being cloth diapered and used a detergent that had bleach in it. It was horrible. We have always double rinsed our diapers, but that didn't get it all out in the soaker parts of the diaper.

We use a very simple diaper balm on our daughter. Whipped Shea Butter and sunflower oil. The sunflower oil is high in vitamin e, an emollient and it was highly recommended by our pediatrician who told us about a study that was done with infants receiving sunflower oil on their skin daily made them less likely to get infections. I don't use any eo's/fo's or herbal infusions on my younger children or pets since they can't tell me if it's irritating to them.

Obviously, talk to your child's doctor first before putting anything on your baby. Also, if your baby's rash has any open sores, talk to your child's doctor as well.

Make sure as well that whatever you decide to make that you make sure to use clean containers and equipment, you don't want to introduce any bacteria to the mix.

Also, if your child is getting a lot of diaper rashes or ones that just won't go away, sometimes it's because of the diapers. Like maybe they need to be completely stripped because of urine or detergent build up. Drying them in the sun helps as well. Even in the winter here in Wisconsin I try to get our cloth diapers outside on somewhat sunny days to dry. I usually will have to bring them in and pop them in the dryer a bit, but atleast they got some sun.

Latest posts

Back