Awful color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnten

Reaction score
I just made a batch of soap using L de Lolita Lempicka as fragrance. I colored it with Lemon Yellow from Select Shades. When I poured it into the mold, it was a beautiful lemon color.
The next day, when I uncovered it, to my horror, it was the most god awful puky brown I ever saw! Well, I cut it into bars, and to my supprise, it still had that pretty color inside. But, the next day, the bars were getting darker an darker. There is none of that pretty lemony color left.
This fragrance is great, but I discovered it contains vanilla. I guess this explains why it turned brown.
Has anyone ever had this happen? Of course I,m sure you have.

Yeah--never used thatFO, but that is what vanilla does.

Been there....done that; just not with that particular FO. My last disaster was with WSP's Cracklin Firewood. Smelled alright in the bottle but stunk to high heaven in soap but I must say it was appropriately named because my soap morph into the color of firewood. Just the sight of that soap disgusted me and it was leaving such an unpleasant scent I finally pitched the whole batch :x Always a disappointment to have visions of creamy white soap change to an ugly brown.

Yes you can expect that from scents containing vanilla. There are many threads on the subject. You can try a vanilla stabilizer as well as soaping cooler, using more light colored oils etc... but for the most part... you just need to embrace the brown or use other scents.

Did you also put the FO into the soap that you colored for swirling? My first batch was scented with pink cherry cupcakes. I added the FO after i seperated the soap that I colored pink for the swirl. That stayed pink but the rest is chocolate brown...

Jezzy said:
Did you also put the FO into the soap that you colored for swirling? My first batch was scented with pink cherry cupcakes. I added the FO after i seperated the soap that I colored pink for the swirl. That stayed pink but the rest is chocolate brown...

Someone posted pics of a pink & brown soap some time back.Absolutely awesome looking,think it was pink sugar.Great way to get around the vanilla thing.It was stunning!

You do have to watch. I used Vanilla, Vanilla and then Lavender in the same batch (halved and scented and colored seperately). 4 weeks later, the brown from the Vanilla, Vanilla has darkened my lavender (colored lavender) to light brown. So I guess some Vanilla's can kind of bleed into the lighter colors.

The day after unmolding
HPIM1478.JPG

3 weeks later
HPIM1569.JPG

That us REALLY pretty Bayougirl!!

My pink and brown is ok... Not really wow pretty but not bad for my first batch..

I added some teal to soap and it was SO pretty, two days later it was brown,oh well the smell was great.

Latest posts

Back