Anyone use Aloe Vera and goats milk in CP..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry S

Reaction score
Anyone use Aloe Vera and goats milk in CP..
I have never used Aloe Vera juice in making soap but am about to make some Castile or what some call Bastile soap. I use mostly OO but through in a couple of other oils such as Castor and Cocoa Butter to stiffen it up a bit. I have read there are some benefits to using Aloe Vera and even goats milk…I Just wondered what the experiences of some of the forum members were or are using Aloe Vera instead of water….
Jerry :p

I don't use aloe in my soap because I'm allergic, but there are many soapers out there that use it in place of the water. Some say they feel a difference and some say they don't feel a difference but it's good label appeal. Goat milk in place of water or even 1/2 of your water on the other hand gives soap a nice creamy feeling.

I've use aloe juice in numerous batches (kept forgetting to buy distilled water :wink: ) and I can't say I've ever noticed a difference. But as Genny mentioned, it's good for label appeal. I doubt that any benefits from the aloe would survive the Lye Monster.

I do use both very often, love to soap with aloe juice (hope something good stays after lye), just replace water with juice, never had any problems and it makes wonderful face soap

I have used aloe vera juice in my soaps. I can't really say if it added anything to the soap. I think its more for label appeal than anything. I have used coconut milk in soaps before and I can say that the soap has a more creamy texture to it. I have goat milks powder I am dying to try out.

I finally ended up buying a jug of Aloe juice from Walmart. It seems to work ok but I haven’t used any of the soaps I’ve made cuz their still curing. I made about 5 batches of soap with Aloe Vera with some 50% water and 50% juice. The batches I made with all Aloe Vera seem to have come out a little darker in color but then I expected that. I was going to combine it with goats milk as I originally mentioned in this thread but never did that. I didn’t want to spend a lot on the Aloe Vera so I bought the cheap stuff…Its guaranteed to be 100% Aloe Vera so I got it. I’ll follow up on this thread and mention how I like the soap after it cures a bit if anyone is interested.
Jerry :)

I have been wanting to add some Aloe to a couple of my soaps. EVERY one that is sold in grocery and vitamin stores has some percentage of 'OTHER' ingredients. They are not pure aloe. For example, the one from Wal-Mart has a preservative and citric acid (if memory serves). Its only a small percentage of addatives. But I have been very hesitant to try it since 1. I don't NEED those extra ingredients in my soap and 2. I really wonder what kind of reactions I might get in the process with the addatives. I would be interested if other people have found the same problem with finding only aloe juice in their aloe juice :?

BTW drinking a couple oz. aloe juice is really good for an upset tummy :D

I can understand ones concern about adding ingredients to soap that may not be desirable, However, the Aloe juice that I use has small amounts of Citric Acid and Sodium Bensoate.
Sodium benzoate is a type of preservative commonly used in the fruit pies, jams, beverages, salads, relishes and sauerkraut, typically foods that have an acidic pH. Sodium benzoate and water produce benzoic acid, which is the active form of the preservative. Benzoic acid is found naturally in some fruits such as cranberries, plums and apples.

So far as Citric Acid is concerned, it is a constituent of fruit and soft drinks and other food products. Uses include flavor enhancement, bacterial inhabitant, pH adjustment, and as an anti oxidant. It's present in many of the products that you may purchase in the grocery store for the purpose of what I have stated above. It also is present in fruits such as lemons and other citrus foods.

Jerry.. :)

AngelMomma -

Don't be concerned about the sodium benzoate or citric acid. I've used that same aloe vera product from Walmart and I've never had a problem with any of the batches.

Latest posts

Back