Anyone use a preservative in your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soap doesn't need a preservative per se, tho some may benefit from an antioxidant to retard the development of DOS (dreaded orange spots, aka DOS)

are you saying your soaps last only a few months? what happens then?

(There are some recent threads on DOS but it's hard to search on such a short word, so if I come across them I'll post the link here for you)

I'm just new to soapmaking. I was reading in a book that soap only lasts a few months unless you put something like grapefruit seed extract in it.

So, does CP soap last longer than a few months? That would be great! :D

Most soap ( depending on the oils used ) will last much longer . I used to use GSE and find no difference in the soap I made a year ago or the soap I made after that without it .

Kitn

I used Vitamin E for a while but like Kitn never noticed a difference either way.
Your soaps should last a long time, try to use stable oils and butters, not ones prone to DOS, store them in a cool dark place and you should be fine.

You can't always believe what you read, half of the books out there are full of misinformation, lye heavy recipes etc.

It depends on your formula, the freshness of your oils, and the storage conditions of the soap - but you should be able to get a couple of years out of them. Sometimes many years!

carebear said:
It depends on your formula, the freshness of your oils, and the storage conditions of the soap - but you should be able to get a couple of years out of them. Sometimes many years!

I have soap I made about 4 years ago, oven process. They still look nice and are really hard. However...they no longer smell as fragrant as they did.

They don't smell bad....just don't smell at all. BUT that is really the only thing that would let me know that they were old.

Just a question here...does soap made with goats milk last as well as others, or does it go bad? Someone also told me that it would only last a year at most if it contains milk and I was told to store them in the freezer to preserve freshness (after they have fully cured, of course). Anyone heard this?

Latest posts

Back